cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-M5 & L Series lenses, plus more.....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Hello from the UK

I’ve been a lifelong user of Canon cameras. From the original 35mm EOS cameras and all the way through the transition to digital. It would take an age to list what I have owned and used over 30 odd years. So I will refrain from doing that.

The point of my post and indeed joining the forum. I am looking seriously at the EOS M5, not least because of it being able to use the EF lens range.

My questions are, will the (EF) lenses lose any functionality in being attached to the M5?  AND not least, is the camera capable of utilising the exceptional quality of the L lenses? Obviously the sensor in the M5 is smaller. I’m just toying with with that camera and L lenses. Or wether to stick with the M series lenses and wondered if anyone (more knowledgable than me) had any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Steve aka The Rogue.

70 REPLIES 70

"Automatic and Programme either can be used for point and shoot, to a degree."

I do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Peter, I wish I could read what is being listed at your link."

Use Google Chrome browser and select translate.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"Peter, I wish I could read what is being listed at your link."

Use Google Chrome browser and select translate.

Seems Google translate works pretty good.

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Ok ok, I'm going to get verbal I can feel it. I read all of these replies - so thank you guys. And some if not all of them have persuaded my in my buying decision.  I just ordered a new 5D III with the 24-70 f2.8 II USM. Extras including 600ex II RT flash.  I knew once I started browsing again, and asking questions, I was going to buy something. I was almost tempted with the M5 and some L lenses, but in th end......  Once again, thank you guys.

@TheRogue wrote:

Ok ok, I'm going to get verbal I can feel it. I read all of these replies - so thank you guys. And some if not all of them have persuaded my in my buying decision.  I just ordered a new 5D III with the 24-70 f2.8 II USM. Extras including 600ex II RT flash.  I knew once I started browsing again, and asking questions, I was going to buy something. I was almost tempted with the M5 and some L lenses, but in th end......  Once again, thank you guys.

5D3.  Good choice.  The M Series cameras are NOT a good match for L Series lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I just ordered a new 5D III with the 24-70 f2.8 II USM."

By far and away the better choice.  It's too bad you don't have a M5 to see just how much better off you are. Lightyears!

EB

amfoto1
Authority

The whole point of a mirrorless camera like the M5 is the small size... seems kinda counter-intuitive to then fit it with a big old full frame capable L-series lens, that's made even larger by the required adapter! I imagine the optical qualities would be fine... but wonder if the auto focus performance might take a hit.

The M5 has caught my eye, too (finally, an M-series with a viewfinder... and an electronic one with focus peaking, too boot!). Seriously considering getting one to carry when I don't want/need a big old DSLR. I haven't bought one yet... but have been looking into it... and the lenses to use upon it, which I consider the more important part of any camera system.

If you already have some EF and/or EF-S lenses, it's great that the M5 can share them too. But I wouldn't buy an M5 planning to also buy a handful of L-series to use on it!

It's a minor problem with M5 that as of now there's a pretty limited selection of EF-M lenses, which also appear to only offer STM focus drive, are mostly zooms with variable aperture, oen "pancake" 22mm prime and a rather too-short focal length 28mm macro, neither of which really get my lens lust revved up.

Normally I'd refrain from suggesting third party products on a manufacturers forum, but since EF-M lenses are so limited, I'll make an exception this time....

I'd probably get one or two of the EF-M zooms as "walk-around" lenses. But I'm also very interested in some of the Rokinon lenses now being offered. Some of those look pretty impressive. They're manual focus and manual aperture only, but for the type of shooting I'd want to do with the M5, I don't see that as a big problem. 12mm f2, 21mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2 might be the lenses I'd choose....and all three of them can be purchased for under $1200 (USD).

I'm also interested in some of the adapters that allow old Leica M and screwmount be used on the M5. And there are other adapters for other rangefinder systems. They'll be manual focus and aperture only, too.... but suddenly there are literally millions of vintage lenses that might be given a new lease on life with the M5!

All this was a lot less practical with earlier M-series cameras that lacked a viewfinder.... But the M5 is a real game changer. Hopefully Canon will also take a look at the Rokinon lenses, Fuji mirrorless system, Contax G mount, etc and give the M system some serious lens-love! The sky is the limit, now that we have a viewfinder!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

"Normally I'd refrain from suggesting third party products on a manufacturers forum, but since EF-M lenses are so limited, I'll make an exception this time...."

I already posted somewhere earlier in this thread that I use the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 with my M3.  I dial in hyperfocal distance, and everything beyond a few feet is in sharp focus.  The manual lens doesn't drain the battery, either. 

There's a menu setting in the M3 that I had to make to allow the shutter to activate without a lens attached before it would fire the shutter with a fully manual lens.  The M5 might be the same way.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@amfoto1 wrote:

It's a minor problem with M5 that as of now there's a pretty limited selection of EF-M lenses, which also appear to only offer STM focus drive, 

STM lenses focus fast, precise and quite. Why would that be a negative?

Many people are confused that because the speed of the STM focus can be controlled and made slower for video focus pulls that mean STM lenses focus slowly. That is not the case especially when you are talking about small light EF-M lenses. 

"Why would that be a negative?"

The negative isn't the lenses, it is the camera itself.

EB
Announcements