cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-M5 & L Series lenses, plus more.....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Hello from the UK

I’ve been a lifelong user of Canon cameras. From the original 35mm EOS cameras and all the way through the transition to digital. It would take an age to list what I have owned and used over 30 odd years. So I will refrain from doing that.

The point of my post and indeed joining the forum. I am looking seriously at the EOS M5, not least because of it being able to use the EF lens range.

My questions are, will the (EF) lenses lose any functionality in being attached to the M5?  AND not least, is the camera capable of utilising the exceptional quality of the L lenses? Obviously the sensor in the M5 is smaller. I’m just toying with with that camera and L lenses. Or wether to stick with the M series lenses and wondered if anyone (more knowledgable than me) had any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Steve aka The Rogue.

70 REPLIES 70

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I am looking seriously at the EOS M5,..."

I think the M5 is a bad idea uless you do just want to use the lenses designed for it.  It is just a fancy-dancy P&S.  There are so many better choices available.  Just my .02 cents but worth every penny.

I wouldn't go as far to say that the M5 is a bad idea as a whole.  But, buying the M5 to use primarily with L Series lenses probably is a bad idea.   An 80D would be a much better choice, at that price point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had bought the M3 because I wanted a smaller camera body, which could capture great images.  I went for the M Series over the G Series primarily because of the interchangeable lenses.  The M Series also seemed far more serviceable than the G Series cameras, too.  I can clean the sensor, if need be. 

My M3 is more of a niche camera, than an all-purpose workhorse.  I have never tried to use something the size of an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L with the M3, because the body is really just too small.  You would have to support 100% of the weight of the lens, by holding the lens, probably by the tripod foot. Now, you're focusing off the LCD screen, if you're not using a viewfinder. 

I think the weight balance would probably be bad, too, with the small body.  Besides, the battery is too small for a full shoot with such a big lens, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hmmmm interessting! "Fancy-dancy P&S". What is P&S? Excuse the ignorance!

@TheRogue wrote:

Hmmmm interessting! "Fancy-dancy P&S". What is P&S? Excuse the ignorance!

point and shoot.  expensive disposable cameras, if you ask me.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...expensive disposable cameras, if you ask me...."

Exactly!   It isn't a Powershot and it isn't an SLR, is it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hmmmm, I kind of agree. But even the big 1D's have 'point and shoot' modes. Now THAT is an expensive 'P&S'.  Likewise, the M's and other cameras have manual modes. Bit swings and roundabouts I guess and eventually coming down to personal choice.

TheRogue,

"But even the big 1D's have 'point and shoot' modes."

Touche mon ami.  They do have a "P" mode but they don't and never did have an "A" mode.  There is a difference.

"I guess and eventually coming down to personal choice."

It does and the fact remains, there are better choices.  I considered the M5, myself, when it first came out.  But its role would have been to replace my G15 and G1x.  Both real P&S's.  Not as a work horse camera. To each his own, though.

EB

I concur - But honestly, surely you're just arguing the definition of point and shoot. I know I have used P mode on a 1D and bsically pointed it and shot! But anyway - 'there are better choices' thats surely just contradicting your ariginal agreement with the notion of personal choice?

"...contradicting your ariginal agreement with the notion of personal choice?"

Not all. I give opinions on my personal experience and requirements.  Whatever the OP or anybody does is totally up to them.  I am sure there are folks that are crazy about their M5 as were the M3 owners.  Personal choice and other's choices can be and are likely different from mine.  I come from a career photography background.  Where your camera made your living.  Most if not all the regulars posters here are hobbyists or amateurs.  I freely admit this puts a prejudice on my opinions.

If I don't own it or don't use it or have never used it, I try to not comment.  I was and I am in a unique situation where I got to use a lot of photo gear over the years.

EB

BTW, "A" and "P" are not the same thing.  Even though you can P&S.

EB

Hmm yes I did already agree that but mentioned that we were just defining point and shoot. I mean Canon don't call it point and shoot mode doe they. Automatic and Programme either can be used for point and shoot, to a degree. No?

Announcements