cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-M5 & L Series lenses, plus more.....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

Hello from the UK

I’ve been a lifelong user of Canon cameras. From the original 35mm EOS cameras and all the way through the transition to digital. It would take an age to list what I have owned and used over 30 odd years. So I will refrain from doing that.

The point of my post and indeed joining the forum. I am looking seriously at the EOS M5, not least because of it being able to use the EF lens range.

My questions are, will the (EF) lenses lose any functionality in being attached to the M5?  AND not least, is the camera capable of utilising the exceptional quality of the L lenses? Obviously the sensor in the M5 is smaller. I’m just toying with with that camera and L lenses. Or wether to stick with the M series lenses and wondered if anyone (more knowledgable than me) had any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Steve aka The Rogue.

70 REPLIES 70

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

From Canon site:

"The Mount Adapter EF-EOS M allows Canon EF and EF-S lenses to be mounted on the Canon EOS M Digital Camera. It is fully compatible with all lens functions, including image stabilization and autofocus.

Includes: Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, Camera Cover R-F-3, Lens Dust Cap EB, Instruction Manual, Warranty Card"

Sensor is Canon APS-C sensor, similar to 80D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@TheRogue wrote:

Hello from the UK

I’ve been a lifelong user of Canon cameras. From the original 35mm EOS cameras and all the way through the transition to digital. It would take an age to list what I have owned and used over 30 odd years. So I will refrain from doing that.

The point of my post and indeed joining the forum. I am looking seriously at the EOS M5, not least because of it being able to use the EF lens range.

My questions are, will the (EF) lenses lose any functionality in being attached to the M5?  AND not least, is the camera capable of utilising the exceptional quality of the L lenses? Obviously the sensor in the M5 is smaller. I’m just toying with with that camera and L lenses. Or wether to stick with the M series lenses and wondered if anyone (more knowledgable than me) had any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Steve aka The Rogue.

Generally speaking for general and wide angle lenses you are better off using EF-M lenses with M series cameras. A lot of the cost of wide angle L lenses is to ensure corner to corner sharpness. You literally do not see that corner sharpness when using an APS-C camera be it a 7D Mk II, 80D or M5.

For longer and newer L lenses like the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II or the EF 100-400 L IS II the advantage shifts to the L lenses.

That was much my thought regarding general purpose lenses. But I had been looking at L lenses like the 85mm f1.2 for portraiture - and then obviously the higher zooms for various sport etc. I think now I am forming a buying opinion judging by what you guys are saying, so thank you.

@TheRogue wrote:

That was much my thought regarding general purpose lenses. But I had been looking at L lenses like the 85mm f1.2 for portraiture - and then obviously the higher zooms for various sport etc. I think now I am forming a buying opinion judging by what you guys are saying, so thank you.

If you already own the EF 85mm f/1.2 I or II sure you use it the EOS M5. I chose the EF 85mm f/1.8 for use with my crop cameras, but, when I bought it the EF 85mm f/1.2 II wasn't available, and the original EF 85mm f/1.2 was too slow focusing for my usage. One of the big advantage of the M5 and mirrorless cameras in general is their smaller size and lighter weight. The EF 85mm f/1.2 II weighs twice as much as the EOS M5 camera. For narrowest depth of field the EF 85mm f/1.2 II can't be beat, and only you can decide if its size and weight fit your style of photography. 

I kind of got used to the weight issue when I was humping about the various 1D's I had, and the big white lenses. The last was the 1Dx which was way lighter than the 1Dn that I had some years ago. So weight alone won't put me off. I don't want to delve into the big 1D's again. I really am interested in what the 5M can do with these lenses. I have a feeling my 2017 is going to be 'fun'.

@TTMartin wrote:
Generally speaking for general and wide angle lenses you are better off using EF-M lenses with M series cameras. A lot of the cost of wide angle L lenses is to ensure corner to corner sharpness. You literally do not see that corner sharpness when using an APS-C camera be it a 7D Mk II, 80D or M5. ..

Besides, even the widest "L" lenses aren't very wide on an APS-C camera. (They're all intended for FF cameras.) You're better off using WA lenses designed for the M or for the other APS-C cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree with you, IF the quality is comparable. I only ever used L series lenses on my DSLR cameras because of the quality. Which I guess brings me round to my originals queries.

@TheRogue wrote:

I agree with you, IF the quality is comparable. I only ever used L series lenses on my DSLR cameras because of the quality. Which I guess brings me round to my originals queries.

Canon's EF-M lenses and EF-S STM lenses match the image quality of all, but, the newest generation L lenses. 

So, if you are use to older L lenses, you won't see much if any difference in image quality going to EF-M lenses. But, when you compare the latest IS II series L lenses, those IS II L lenses are the clear winners.

For example, the EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens pretty much matches the image quality of the EF 70-200 f/4L IS. However, neither of those match the image quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II.

This is useful information. I do tend to go for the latest lenses available at the time. So I guess this covers that.

Announcements