cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M5 Filing System Question

jsk53
Contributor

I'm considering picking up a new M5 for a trip I'm taking. I don't want to take my big stuff. The problem is the silly image filing system in the camera where your only options are to select folders by week or folders by month.  I don't want multiple folders and just want all my images together. I'll deal with the sorting later.

Is there a way to disable that filing system in the camera or am I stuck with multiple folders of images?  Thanks.

Jeff

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Then you need an SL1.

Those appear to be the only options on the M5, according to the manual. The SL1 acts like the other more sensible EOS cameras and only create new folders when you have more than 9999 images - about a good day of shooting. 8^)

eta: And it is day or month, not week.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Then you need an SL1.

Those appear to be the only options on the M5, according to the manual. The SL1 acts like the other more sensible EOS cameras and only create new folders when you have more than 9999 images - about a good day of shooting. 8^)

eta: And it is day or month, not week.

Not familiar with the Rebel SL1, but I don't think it's mirrorless and is only 18mp. I'll take a look at it though.  Thanks.

@jsk53 wrote:

I'm considering picking up a new M5 for a trip I'm taking. I don't want to take my big stuff. The problem is the silly image filing system in the camera where your only options are to select folders by week or folders by month.  I don't want multiple folders and just want all my images together. I'll deal with the sorting later.

Is there a way to disable that filing system in the camera or am I stuck with multiple folders of images?  Thanks.

Jeff

How long is the trip? If you select the "by month" option, how many folders will you actually have to deal with?

HINT: You don't want to leave the files on the card more than a few hours without copying them to at least one computer or storage device. We've had far too many people beg us for help in retrieving image files that have been corrupted, accidentally deleted, or otherwise lost.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

How long is the trip? If you select the "by month" option, how many folders will you actually have to deal with?

HINT: You don't want to leave the files on the card more than a few hours without copying them to at least one computer or storage device. We've had far too many people beg us for help in retrieving image files that have been corrupted, accidentally deleted, or otherwise lost.

Actually the trip will span over two months. I do shoot and backup cards. I've been a Canon shooter since 1967 and a digital user since the origninal D30.  I'm just not a fan of the by day or week or month forced filiing system as it really confuses my students when they are learning to  create a filing system and work flow. 

While the in camera filing system options is not a deal breaker as I really don't want to lug around the 5DIII or 1DXII and associated lenses on this trip. I was just curious as to if there was an option to disable that default option.

I appreciate the comments though as it's always good to backup in the field. Thanks Bob.

Announcements