cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M10 questions

jsprenkle
Apprentice

Good afternoon, I had two questions while trying to decide on purchasing this camera.

• Is there a mechanical switch remote control available or is it only through the app? (I want to use an arduino to remote control the camera)
  • Can I download images from the camera, via nfc or wifi, without using an app or proprietary device? My phone is old (android 4.1) and my experience with apps that work has been very poor.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Canon EOS M10 looks fairly similar to Canon’s lead camera, the EOS M3 but without the main manual controls. It has an ultra-simple design, providing accessibility through being a largely point-and-shoot model. The goal of the EOS M10 is to provide a step-up to users from a smartphone or from a compact camera to an interchangeable lens camera. Better image quality and other features in a compact camera.

The M10 has Wi-Fi and NFC wireless connectivity that is compatible with the Canon Camera Connect app (iOS and Android) for both file transfer and remote control operation. The camera is also compatible with the Canon Connect Station CS100.

Hope that helps.

Actually I have been considering one.  But I am going for the M3 and I am going to recommend you look at the M3 also.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

"There is a viewfinder available for the M3, ..."

Yeah, there is but it is approx $200 bucks, additional;.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like with many other Canon photography products, there are promotions.

M3 ViewFinder.PNG

What a bargain!  I am very tempted.  For M3, not the M10, though, as far as I have seen.  With the adapter, and a pancake lens, or the nifty fifty....this might work as point and shoot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I am very tempted"

Me too!  Smiley Happy  I almost pulled the trigger before the Spring break trip but I took the G1x.  It worked out well but I still would like to have the M3.   Maybe?

" and a pancake lens, or the nifty fifty."

Can't agree with you on this, however.  I am not a pancake lens person.   Smiley Sad  I will never have another nifity fifity.  Learned that lesson a long time ago to repeat it again.

IMHO, the lens adapter is a poor attempt to make the M3 something it ain't. Get the Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens with it.  Got a bud with that combo and it is really the reason I want one.  If you have not tried or used that combo, I urge you to try it.   I might add the 18-55mm STM too, I guess. 

EB

" and a pancake lens, or the nifty fifty."

Can't agree with you on this, however.  I am not a pancake lens person.   Smiley Sad  I will never have another nifity fifity.  Learned that lesson a long time ago to repeat it again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The adapter is inexpensive, and my intent was to use it as a stop-gap until I picked an EF-M lens on sale.  Hence, using the adapter with the least expensive EF lenses they make.  The viewfinder is practically free.

Well it is a good idea because the adapter does work.  Just not real good.  I don't think you will find the viewfinder a great addition but who can argue with free, or nearly so?  If you need it, you need it !  Let me know how you like it.

EB

"Well it is a good idea because the adapter does work.  Just not real good.  I don't think you will find the viewfinder a great addition but who can argue with free, or nearly so?  If you need it, you need it !  Let me know how you like it." 

I will let you know in a week, or so..  I decided to pull the trigger on that M3 deal with the viewfinder.  Supposedly, the M3 LCD display is much better in bright sunlight than Canon's DSLRs.  Time will tell.

BTW, I should point out that my decision to initially use those "small" lenses is based in part on the lower battery capacity of the M3, when compared to a DSLR.  I would expect an "L" lens would take its' toll on battery life.  Ditto for most EF/EF-S lenses. 

I have my eye on the EF-M 22mm f/2, the only fast lens in the lineup.  The rest of the EF-M lineup, except for the wide angle zoom, seem like variations of design parameters of the same slow lens.

I expect that my fully manual Rokinon Cinema lenses, especially the 14mm with a 9 foot hyperforcal distance at f/4, may get a lot of use with the M3.  I intend to carry it as a walk around camera for when I don't feel like lugging a DSLR travel kit around.

elmer0224
Apprentice

Is there an option to transfer the pictures from the EOS M10 to a computer connected wirelessly via router?

elmer0224
Apprentice

So I bought the EOS M10. I was disappointed by the battery life. It's not even 1,000 mAh (just 800+). First charge, I was able to take 104 images. Second charge, I was able to take 222 images. Compared to the battery of my old Canon EOS 1100D (I owned it for 5 years now), it's not even 1/5 of it's capacity. Pretty disappointed.

The spare battery will cost me P2,500 more. Everything else, I'm okay with it.

Announcements