cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M cannot read or format card (over 200 pics previously taken on same card)

petewallace1959
Contributor

My relatively new EOS M (in which I put a 128GB ultima PRO X card in) can no longer read the card. The camera won't allow me to format the card either? The camera has been working perfectly previously and I've taken around 200 piccies with it without any problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@petewallace1959 wrote:

My relatively new EOS M (in which I put a 128GB ultima PRO X card in) can no longer read the card. The camera won't allow me to format the card either? The camera has been working perfectly previously and I've taken around 200 piccies with it without any problem?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am not familiar with that brand of SD card.  Let's hope that the card has failed, instead of the camera. Try a different card ,one with not as much capacity, 32GB or less.

What error message is the camera giving you?  Are you attempting a "Low Level Format"?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've tried both a low level and a 'normal' format, the message I get when I turn the camera on is 'Card cannot be accessed Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera.

When I try reformatting the message I get is 'Cannot format Change card'

So I guess I'll try another (lower memory) card

@petewallace1959 wrote:

I've tried both a low level and a 'normal' format, the message I get when I turn the camera on is 'Card cannot be accessed Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera.

When I try reformatting the message I get is 'Cannot format Change card'

So I guess I'll try another (lower memory) card

Okay.  Let us know how that works out.  Make sure the door is fully closed, too.

Cheers, will do 🙂

I took out 128GB card (Intregra Ultima PRO X) which the EOS M told me it could no longer work with (although it has worked perfectly with for the last month or so), and I replaced it with a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card, which apparently, the EOS M is now all cozy with and it appears to be reading fine - fingers crossed 🙂

@petewallace1959 wrote:

I took out 128GB card (Intregra Ultima PRO X) which the EOS M told me it could no longer work with (although it has worked perfectly with for the last month or so), and I replaced it with a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card, which apparently, the EOS M is now all cozy with and it appears to be reading fine - fingers crossed 🙂

Did you ever successfully format the card in the camera, or did you just start using it as it came from the factory? If the latter, maybe it took the camera a while to realize that the card is too big for it to handle. In that case the card might start working again if you were to low-level format it on a computer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@petewallace1959 wrote:

Did you ever successfully format the card in the camera, or did you just start using it as it came from the factory? If the latter, maybe it took the camera a while to realize that the card is too big for it to handle. In that case the card might start working again if you were to low-level format it on a computer.

... and then do a regular format in the camera, which causes it to create the default set of folders.

I've tried formatting the 128GB card in my laptop and it (the laptop) won't even recognise that I've put the 128GB card in the card reader. And I've checked that my laptop card reader is working by inserting the new 32GB card into it and it reads the 32GB card no problem so looks like the 128GB card is kaput 🙂

@petewallace1959 wrote:

I've tried formatting the 128GB card in my laptop and it (the laptop) won't even recognise that I've put the 128GB card in the card reader. And I've checked that my laptop card reader is working by inserting the new 32GB card into it and it reads the 32GB card no problem so looks like the 128GB card is kaput 🙂

Well, I hate to say "good", but good.  It's a good thing that it appears to be the card, and not the camera.

Announcements