cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS C100 and 5D Mark III - How to use together, match settings, etc.

percoplus
Contributor

I shoot with both of these cameras and wondering if anyone has a reference for matching the picture settings. For example, on the C100, there is a custom preset setting 'EOS Standard' that I assume corresponds to the 'Standard' picture style on the 5D Mk III. But, what if I want to shoot cinema locked, HDR or some other way?

15 REPLIES 15

Skirball
Authority

Plainly put, you're not.  Those are two vastly different cameras and you're going to have to expect that they put settings in the C100 for video mode that they're not going to have available in the 5D3.  I would try to minimize in camera settings and add effects in post if you want to match the output from two different cameras.

HDR?  Does the C100 shoot in HDR?  Do they even do Magic Lantern for the C100?

'Plainly put, I'm not' what?

The C100 has 3 built-in picture settings: EOS Standard, Wide DR and Cinema. And room for several custom presets. The 5D has several: Neutral, Faithful, Standard, etc. and room for a few CPs. Of course, they are entirely different cameras, but they are both Canon. Someone at Canon ought to know how best to mate them somewhat on a shoot. Am I in the wrong place?

Excuse me, please. Was this not a valid question? I am still seeking an answer

You should check this out: http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/cinestyle.

Your original post was accurate in that the EOS Standard picture style on your C100 was designed to match video output from a Canon EOS body. For a flatter look more similar to C-log you should check the link posted above. Remember that you can always load a custom picture style like technicolor's cinestyle into both your C100 and 5Dm3 if you wish, or run with C-log on the C100 and cinestyle on the 5Dm3. Either way, this should make things easier when color grading in post while intercutting video from both bodies.

PLee, Thank you for the tip!

Looks like exactly what I needed. However, I am not able to install the picture profiles. Something is not right with the Canon EOS Utility. Or the User Guide provided by the technicolor Cinestyle people is wrong. When I connect the camera, click the 'Register User Defined Style' button. The page that opens up will not allow me to select the profile I downloaded. There are three tabs called 'User Defined', and each one has a dropdown with only the six default profiles in the camera already. The 'Open File' icon does not respond. I am not able to navigate to the Cinestyle preset.

I sure wish I could get this thing loaded in time for a shoot tomorrow, but I'm running out of time. Will have to contact Canon tomorrow by phone

Anyway, with the cinestyle preset, I should be able to better match the hi dynamic range setting in the C100, correct?

With your 5Dm3 already connected to your computer via the USB cable:

1. Open EOS Utility software. Make sure it's the latest verson EOS 2.14.1.
  2. On the Control Camera tab, select Camera Settings and Remote Shooting.
  3. A new window should open.
  4. In the shooting menu, select "Register User Defined Style".
  5. A new window should open again.
  6. In the upper right, select the open folder icon and a directory window should open.
  7. Select the "technicolor_cinestyle_v1.0.pf2" file where it's been saved on your computer.

If it looks like you're following along and are stuck at the open file icon, then I would suggest try reinstalling, or updating EOS Utility first and trying again.

As for your final question, yes the Cinestayle picture style will better match C-log from a C100. C-log has been designed to give you the maximum dynamic range from a Canon C-series camera.

As a matter of fact, I had the 5D Mark II bundle at first, and Then I installed the new Mark III bundle with version 3 of the EOS utility. None of it is working - in terms of creating a new preset.
It seems wrong that the window that opens with 'Register User Defined Style' has a drop down with all of the default presets already in the camera. That drop down should not be there, should it? There should only be the choice to import a new preset or maybe edit an existing preset. If you wanted one of the defaults, you would select it from the previous menu window.

@percoplus wrote:
As a matter of fact, I had the 5D Mark II bundle at first, and Then I installed the new Mark III bundle with version 3 of the EOS utility. None of it is working - in terms of creating a new preset.
It seems wrong that the window that opens with 'Register User Defined Style' has a drop down with all of the default presets already in the camera. That drop down should not be there, should it? There should only be the choice to import a new preset or maybe edit an existing preset. If you wanted one of the defaults, you would select it from the previous menu window.

For your purposes, I think I'd drop back to version 2 of the EOS Utility. Version 3 is very new and is aimed at compatibility with the rather idiosyncratic version 4 of DPP. EOS 3 has worked well for me so far, but if I were having trouble with it, I'd revert.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Robert. But I m having the same problem with both versions of the software app.

Announcements