cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90d- Why is my brand new 90d making this sound??

lisnlive
Contributor

Hey just got this brand new 90d shot with it a couple of times and it's been great and then I picked it up today and it was making this loud ticking/thumping sound when you playback the video. Does anyone know what this is???

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens do you have?

@kvbarkley wrote:

What lens do you have?

Are you using a tripod?  If so, turn off IS in the lens?  You can turn off AF Tracking, too, because your subject is pretty static, and not moving around much.  

Personally, that sounds like some sort of electronic interference on the microphone.  Are you using an external mic?  If so, try using just the camera's internal mic to see if the noise goes away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So I think you might be onto something. I was using a tripod and IS was turned on. But when I went to test it, after I listened to the footage, I tested just handheld and the noise was gone. Weird that IS would cause that.

I was using an external Rode microphone.

It's the 18-135 kit lens from Canon

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Going along with Waddizle, is your cellphone next to your camera? I have heard this sort of thing when cellphones get close to speakerphones.

Tim
Authority

lisnlive, 

I see from a post below that you disabled the IS whilst on a tripod and the noise went away.  What you were hearing was the IS mechanism attempting to correct for shake but being on a tripod, there was none.  That is the reason we recommend always disabling the IS when shooting on a tripod, otherwise you risk damaging the IS mechanism in the lens. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim wrote:

lisnlive, 

I see from a post below that you disabled the IS whilst on a tripod and the noise went away.  What you were hearing was the IS mechanism attempting to correct for shake but being on a tripod, there was none.  That is the reason we recommend always disabling the IS when shooting on a tripod, otherwise you risk damaging the IS mechanism in the lens. 

Actually, the manual for the lens only states that to conserve battery power IS should be turned off when on a tripod.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements