cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D poor OVF performance

Cross
Contributor

First let me start by saying I love my 90D for stills but the Optical view finder focusing seems to have issues even with my 100-400 is II  especialy birds in flight. I and many others in other forums I belong to have a couple issues. One I call focus hang, for instance if a bird flushes suddenly and I pull up the lens (No matter which I have mounted )starts to focus and then just stops. I then have to point to a high contrast target and the lens will come alive again, and yes I have continue to hunt enabled and face tracking disabled. Also 9 point focus is pretty much unusable single point works pretty well. I upgraded from my 80D for the newer sensor but my 80D way ot performs the 90D when it comes to birds in flight. I am really hoping a firmware update is in the works to make the camera a little more enjoyable for us birders. Again stills it is fantastic need some of that for BIF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried a number of scenarios with my 90D and a number of different lenses.  Pointed at blue sky then at a telephone pole and the lenses snapped right into focus.  You may have a camera with a problem.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

Hi, 

Was your problem solved?  I am having serious issues with optical viewfinder not performing well in AI Servo.  I sent my 90D to Canon, they sent it back saying it's fine, and suggested using single focus point instead of small zone.  I don't know what else to do at this point so I am curious.  Thanks.

@soak000 wrote:

Hi, 

Was your problem solved?  I am having serious issues with optical viewfinder not performing well in AI Servo.  I sent my 90D to Canon, they sent it back saying it's fine, and suggested using single focus point instead of small zone.  I don't know what else to do at this point so I am curious.  Thanks.

Everyone who participated in this thread was initially told to contact Canon Support.  You are advised to do the same.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, solved. Took the 90D back and got a Canon R. No OVF problems as it dosn't have one. I'm very happy with the EOS R.

Announcements