cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D poor OVF performance

Cross
Contributor

First let me start by saying I love my 90D for stills but the Optical view finder focusing seems to have issues even with my 100-400 is II  especialy birds in flight. I and many others in other forums I belong to have a couple issues. One I call focus hang, for instance if a bird flushes suddenly and I pull up the lens (No matter which I have mounted )starts to focus and then just stops. I then have to point to a high contrast target and the lens will come alive again, and yes I have continue to hunt enabled and face tracking disabled. Also 9 point focus is pretty much unusable single point works pretty well. I upgraded from my 80D for the newer sensor but my 80D way ot performs the 90D when it comes to birds in flight. I am really hoping a firmware update is in the works to make the camera a little more enjoyable for us birders. Again stills it is fantastic need some of that for BIF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried a number of scenarios with my 90D and a number of different lenses.  Pointed at blue sky then at a telephone pole and the lenses snapped right into focus.  You may have a camera with a problem.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

mysticpanda
Apprentice

I've had several cameras, from Nikon as well as Canon, including 20D, 30D, 40D, 7D and 90D.  The 90D is the ONLY EVER CAMERA that I've need to perform AFMA.  The 90D was marketed as the replacement/upgrade to the 7D2, which I was going to buy, but it transpires that the main selling point of the camera (wildlife) is the one thing it can't do very well.  I can't even get focus properly or consistent results on my brand new 100-400Lii, which is a professional, very expensive lens.  I appreciate these are finely-tuned pieces of equipment that need calibration, but it should not be down to an individual to either figure out how to do it correctly, or pay for 3rd party software such as FoCal to get their very expensive equipment to function as advertised.  Canon should offer a free calibration service for all 90D users.

VinnyAMS
Apprentice

Here from the best forum by Michael the Maven.

I did not try my 100-400 with BIF, But its indeed a problem to get images in focus. Tried it at a soccer game.

@VinnyAMS wrote:

Here from the best forum by Michael the Maven.

I did not try my 100-400 with BIF, But its indeed a problem to get images in focus. Tried it at a soccer game.

Michael the Maven also created a list of lenses that work flawlessly, and lenses that do not focus very well.  It was in the same video where he made that comment.  

If it wasn't the same video, then he provided a link to his video of recommended lenses for use with the 90D.  And, he describes the video, refers you to the link, and asks you to subscribe.  I guess you did not watch the entire video.

The list of "best" lenses were all fairly new zooms.  I do not think he had any great white primes on the list, at least not when he first released it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue with "poor" seems to be the resolving power of the optics is too low.  Nearly all of the lenses in the "poor" performing category were older lens designs.  Most were more than a decade old.  The lenses look great when you pixel peep with 16-20MP sensors/.

Pixel peeping images using the "poor" performing lenses captured with the 32MP sensor look soft.  I point this out because the AF sensor is effectively pixel peeping the images, too, in order to focus.  

BTW, the 50MP 5Ds and 5Dsr had similar complaints when they were released.  Canon released a list of recommended lenses to use with those bodies.  It might be a good idea to refer to that list as guide for which lenses to use with the 90D.

As far as having issues with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L goes, in my experience that lens does not like UV filters or CPL filters.  All of my shots were a little soft until I replaced the UV filter with a clear filter.  I use B+W Nano Pro Clear filters.  I have never tried the Canon protecto filters.

If you are using AI Servo AF mode, with Continuous Shooting drive mode, then you might want to adjust your Image Priority settings.  The default behavior for the combination of AI Servo and Continuous Shooting is for the camera not to wait for a focus lock before firing the shutter.  

The Image Priority settings allow you to adjust the default shutter behavior.  In my 7D2, I like to set 1st Image Priority to Shutter Priority, and 2nd Image Priority to Focus Priority.  I also allow the camera to track the subject around the frame.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks a lot.

dino_dsd
Contributor
The problem is that even with a recommended lenses the missing focus occurre much more often than on other cameras, even taking portret shots. And this was reported by many customers over the world. Using newer expensive lenses improve some results but for sure not enough for action sport shots as it is advertised.

Has anyone tried to contact Canon Support?  Forums are not the place to go to notify Canon of your issues.

Please, post a sample photo of your issue like I asked above.   Try the settings changes that I suggested.   No one has answered any of my questions.  The only responses have been more rants.

While all of your focusing issues may very well be valid, I do not see what that has to do with the viewfinder.  More times than not, the problem(s) wind up being operator error.

Cross
Contributor
Actually the reason for all the new posters is I have been seeing in many forums many of us with the same complaints but nothing here. So my thinking was if nobody tells canon of the issues seen by many of course they wouldn't work on a firmware.

Hi Cross.. Really frustrating.. From what I've gathered, you WILL get good (excellent) AF for BIF on a 90D IF YOU USE a Canon 400 DO II, 400 f 2.8 II or a 600 III with or without the 2x converters and you are parked on the pefect strip in Florida or wherever on you Wimberley mounted tipod etc.... in perfect light.  I've seen all the photos on Fred Miranda and POTN... They do exist.

The other way around this, is to DITCH the 90D, bite the bullet and go for the 1DX III.   ... Sorry but there doesn't seem to be another cigar unless you got with the Nikon 850 or the Sony A9II like Mark Smith.

Big big bummer.  The thing is that even were I able to afford the $20K setups, I'm too weak to carry them around..

I investigated Tim Boyer's really good presentation ont the Olympus alternative (OM D 1X MIII, with the Zuiko 300 f4 and 2MC and/ or the 40-150 f 2.8... but that puts me back to $8K in Maple syrop and despite his best presentation, the IQ is just not there for the Olympus..

Big Boo.  

Cross
Contributor
I did post some of the issues many times no focus at all with 9 focus points . Focus hang with flushing birds no hunt even with on no matter the lens .I also pointed out for stills and perched birds it is outstanding. I see many of the exact complaints all over the place so I don't think just my body issue. I was hoping bringing to this community maybe canon would investigate and find an improvement via firmware. I didnt start the thread to bash the body just to try to highlight issues many are seein.

@Cross wrote:
I did post some of the issues many times no focus at all with 9 focus points . Focus hang with flushing birds no hunt even with on no matter the lens .I also pointed out for stills and perched birds it is outstanding. I see many of the exact complaints all over the place so I don't think just my body issue. I was hoping bringing to this community maybe canon would investigate and find an improvement via firmware. I didnt start the thread to bash the body just to try to highlight issues many are seein.

Like I said, contacting Canon Support with your issues is the proper way to bring camera issues to their attention.

What you have written is not very useful.  It is a complaint, not troubleshooting.  So far, no one has tried any of my suggestions, much less acknowledged that they even read it and gave it serious consideration.

You need to contact Canon Support, all of you do.  

Announcements