cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D poor OVF performance

Cross
Contributor

First let me start by saying I love my 90D for stills but the Optical view finder focusing seems to have issues even with my 100-400 is II  especialy birds in flight. I and many others in other forums I belong to have a couple issues. One I call focus hang, for instance if a bird flushes suddenly and I pull up the lens (No matter which I have mounted )starts to focus and then just stops. I then have to point to a high contrast target and the lens will come alive again, and yes I have continue to hunt enabled and face tracking disabled. Also 9 point focus is pretty much unusable single point works pretty well. I upgraded from my 80D for the newer sensor but my 80D way ot performs the 90D when it comes to birds in flight. I am really hoping a firmware update is in the works to make the camera a little more enjoyable for us birders. Again stills it is fantastic need some of that for BIF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried a number of scenarios with my 90D and a number of different lenses.  Pointed at blue sky then at a telephone pole and the lenses snapped right into focus.  You may have a camera with a problem.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

Cross
Contributor
Edit was not talking sharpness

dino_dsd
Contributor
I think the forum is suited for anything like addressing problem and helping others. Telling a problem you are facing has the probability than some others had already had the same problem and may or may not know the solution. It maybe some settings on you camera or maybe there are much more people having the same issue, then you know it happens only to you or it is the genetal camera's issue

@dino_dsd wrote:
I think the forum is suited for anything like addressing problem and helping others. Telling a problem you are facing has the probability than some others had already had the same problem and may or may not know the solution. It maybe some settings on you camera or maybe there are much more people having the same issue, then you know it happens only to you or it is the genetal camera's issue

I agree.  

Forums are a place for users to discuss issues, and offer suggestions and advice.  Except, that is not what happened here.  The first several posts are all people, who apparently are familiar with one another.  They all said that their cameras were defective in exactly the same way.  They should bring those issues directly to Canon, not a user forum.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

„Forums are a place for users to discuss issues …”

The OP clearly has an issue for which he first sought advice in another forum, i.e. a Facebook page, by the name of „Canon 90D Owners”. 

There he didn’t find much to relief his problem. On the contrary, he struck a raw nerve with quite a lot of other people who seemed to have the same problem. Contrary to what you suggest, the people who joined with him, were not „familiar” with one another, they are from Australia, Japan, China, India, the USA and several countries in Europe: from all over the world, really. All that they have in common is that they bought the 90D to shoot wildlife. Most of them have in common that they are (very) experienced photographers, but none of them can get the camera working the way it is advertised. 

Like it is in https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-90d

He -we- came to this forum, mistakenly (?) thinking this was affiliated with Canon. Canon.USA at the least, with Canon people reading and commenting. Please be so kind as to help us to a link „directly to Canon” if you can, because addressed in the wrong place or not, the problem is very real to lots of people who struggle with it and they want Canon’s attention.

Life is a learning experience

Odd that you know the name of the Facebook group. He never named it.  He misspelled the name. It was incomplete.

The link to Canon Support can be found on Community home page.  Click the link at the top of the page, or simply log out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not so odd that I know the name of the facebook group, that pointed me in this derection, in the first place.
Why would it be?
Why do you react so defensive, now that we have stablished that you are not Canon-in-person and not to be held responsible for this problem?

But thanks, all the same.

Life is a learning experience

" Please be so kind as to help us to a link „directly to Canon” if you can,"

Canon USA support line is 1-800-OK-CANON.

If you are not in the USA see here: https://global.canon/en/support/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I tried a number of scenarios with my 90D and a number of different lenses.  Pointed at blue sky then at a telephone pole and the lenses snapped right into focus.  You may have a camera with a problem.

We don't know the extent of the problem hence we discuss it on an appropriate forum to find out if this is an isolated incident or is it more widespread. Once we have gather enough information THEN we can take our issue, if there is one, to Canon for an answer. For your information I am not familiar with anyone on this forum as you wrongly suggest. This is not some conspiracy again Canon or indeed this forum, we are doing exactly what a forum is all about, discussing issues and looking for solutions.

Cross
Contributor
Thank you for the test. And I belive you are correct. I actually just seen a repair slip from another 90D owner who reported similar issues to mine. They had seen my post on another forum . Thier explanation to canon with thier issue was like I typed it myself. Turned out to be bad sensor board shutter and metering controller and some misalignment. Canon explained those issues would cause the interminate issue the customer reported. The interminate part is why I thought was just maybe a firmware fix needed. Thanks again for trying to recreate .I will miss my 90D while its gone but I still have my 80D as backup.
Announcements