cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D poor OVF performance

Cross
Contributor

First let me start by saying I love my 90D for stills but the Optical view finder focusing seems to have issues even with my 100-400 is II  especialy birds in flight. I and many others in other forums I belong to have a couple issues. One I call focus hang, for instance if a bird flushes suddenly and I pull up the lens (No matter which I have mounted )starts to focus and then just stops. I then have to point to a high contrast target and the lens will come alive again, and yes I have continue to hunt enabled and face tracking disabled. Also 9 point focus is pretty much unusable single point works pretty well. I upgraded from my 80D for the newer sensor but my 80D way ot performs the 90D when it comes to birds in flight. I am really hoping a firmware update is in the works to make the camera a little more enjoyable for us birders. Again stills it is fantastic need some of that for BIF.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried a number of scenarios with my 90D and a number of different lenses.  Pointed at blue sky then at a telephone pole and the lenses snapped right into focus.  You may have a camera with a problem.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

dino_dsd
Contributor
Same happens to me 😞

brianhig
Apprentice

I have been taking photographs for more than 50 years, all through the OVF. I was disappointed at the focus achieved by my 90D when using the OVF. If I was aware of this issue when I was looking for a new camera I would have avoided the 90D. Liveview may be great in some circumstances but in bright sunshine it is difficult to see. I read on various blogs, facebook pages etc that things can be improved by micro adjustments. If this is the case then why isn't this done to the camera at the manufacturers. It looks as this is a cost cutting exercise - leave it to the customer to finish off the job. Disappointed.

I have to agree. As someone with bifocals I rarely use the liveview, especially outside where it's bright. It's too bad Canon found this current OVF acceptable and didn't bring it up to their usual standards.

@firegod44 wrote:

I have to agree. As someone with bifocals I rarely use the liveview, especially outside where it's bright. It's too bad Canon found this current OVF acceptable and didn't bring it up to their usual standards.

Just what exactly is wrong with the OVF.  No one is saying what the actual problem might be.  If the problem is as bad as you say it is, have you tried to contact Canon Support?  You just might be experiencing a manufacturing defect.  You know?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There is something weird here. All of a sudden we have a bunch of new posters posting on the same topic.

@kvbarkley wrote:

There is something weird here. All of a sudden we have a bunch of new posters posting on the same topic.

The forums appear to have been hit by trolls and bots overnight.  Someone made a post asking for help because he wants to shoot a hockey game this weekend.

Not trolls at all, just unhappy buyers of the 90D.  This is meant to be a forum for users to express concerns, not a sales platform.

@mysticpanda wrote:

Not trolls at all, just unhappy buyers of the 90D.  This is meant to be a forum for users to express concerns, not a sales platform.

Do not take it personally.  LIke I just noted, the forums were hit by a number of trolls and web bots overnight.

As for your issue, I suggest that you post a sample photo with EXIF data, or state the exposure and AF settings.  

I am sorry that FoCal did not resolve your issue.because AFMA is probably not the issue.  Like I noted above, similar complaints about the 5Ds and 5Dsr.  The cameras were a little too good.  They were able to bring out the flaws in any lens.

The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM can be a finicky lens to use.  However, I would expect it to be a top performer with the 90D, which it is for many people.  I have noticed that the camera AF settings and lens settings can make a world of difference.

If you are using a UV or CPL filter, then I suggest you try it out with the filter removed.  If you have not contacted Canon Support with your issues and concerns, then I suggest that you do so right away.

Good catch there, KV. Smiley Wink

And all within a span of a little over 4 hours. What a coincidence.

Announcements