cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D Mode Dial Replacement

bafinnan
Apprentice

I purchased a new Mode Dial for my 80D from Canon thinking it would be a snap to replace but I am unable to get the existing one off the camera.  Don't want to use too much force because I'll wind up breaking something else.  Is a special tool needed?  Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Are you just trying to replace the decal plate with the mode indications on it or the entire mode dial (knob/lock mechanism, etc.)?  The marker/decal part is just placed on with adhesive  and should be simple to remove and replace but if you are replacing the entire knob/lock assembly then you are looking at major camera disassembly and may well end up with a non-functioning camera unless you are exceedingly careful (or very lucky).

Do NOT pull/pry on the knob or you will also damage the encoder/switch assembly.

If you google this, you will probably find some photos/videos and I suspect if you need to replace the knob itself then you will have to start with removing that top decal with its mode markings.  IF the problem you are trying to address is not just the decal and if the current problem is just cosmetic and not functional in its failure mode then I would leave well enough alone.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@bafinnan wrote:

I purchased a new Mode Dial for my 80D from Canon thinking it would be a snap to replace but I am unable to get the existing one off the camera.  Don't want to use too much force because I'll wind up breaking something else.  Is a special tool needed?  Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

If Canon were to make the repair, then they would replace the entire top assembly, from mode dial to LCD screen.  I would guess that you would need to remove the entire assembly, an then disassemble the mode dial sub-assembly in order to remove it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Are you just trying to replace the decal plate with the mode indications on it or the entire mode dial (knob/lock mechanism, etc.)?  The marker/decal part is just placed on with adhesive  and should be simple to remove and replace but if you are replacing the entire knob/lock assembly then you are looking at major camera disassembly and may well end up with a non-functioning camera unless you are exceedingly careful (or very lucky).

Do NOT pull/pry on the knob or you will also damage the encoder/switch assembly.

If you google this, you will probably find some photos/videos and I suspect if you need to replace the knob itself then you will have to start with removing that top decal with its mode markings.  IF the problem you are trying to address is not just the decal and if the current problem is just cosmetic and not functional in its failure mode then I would leave well enough alone.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Anyone have any ideas?"

Yes, I do.  Send it in to Canon.  You obviously don't know how and they do.  Do it before you need more parts!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements