cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D Location information with Canon Connect App

etaggart
Apprentice

It appears sending location information to the 80D isn't supported with the IOS Canon Connect App?  At least it's not showing up as an option when I load the app.   That stinks!  Come on Canon how hard can that be???

11 REPLIES 11

Tim
Authority

Hello etaggart, 

The Camera Connect App acquires GPS information with your mobile device and adds it to the photos and videos in your camera.

You can set the app to record the information even while your device is not connected to your camera, then transfer the data later.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Tim, Correct however it does not support sending location information to the Canon 80D for some reason.   It works sending location information with some of the powershot series with WiFi, but not the 80D.   

Hello etaggart, 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  We will need to conduct research into why this may occur.  

If this is an urgent request please consider contacting our technical support hotline.  

Please call 1(800)828-4040 and follow the prompts for Technical Support.  Our agents are available Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to Midnight EST, and on Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM EST.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same issue with the app. It states that the camera the app is connected to does not support this function.

It states in the app that DSLR do not support location information. I suspect it's not a technical limitation, but a decision to limit the app to providing that so DSLR buyers have to buy an expensive GP-E2 accessory or more expensive model DSLR.

Makes sense to me. The geotagging 2 app for iPhone provides similar functionality to an GP-E2 for 8 bucks. I will stick with that then and merge the data in Lightroom.

I agree Canon is thinking the DSLR owners will buy their GPS attachment.  But, those that try to transfer their GPS log via the Official Canon app are surely smart enough to search the app stores (apple / android) and find several options for less than $5 to do the same.  

At that point they still won't buy the expensive GPS and will also hold a brand grudge as Canon is being greedy.

Good news travels fast, Bad news travels 10X faster and 10X more!

I agree, I've been a happy Canon customer until this point. I'm seriously considering cutting my losses and dropping them. They did me a solid a while back and expidited a lens repair for me right before vacation, but the lack of GPS support for anything made after 2010 for any vendor is simply un-excuseable.

- Just recived my GP-E2 and it works like a champ on the hot shoe mount ( 80D ), didn't have to use the usb cable.Still not happy I had to order one, but at least its supported.

It's been three years, and no firmware update on the 80D to use the app, even though there's wifi?  Not good.  Just bought the 80D today.  Not pleased.  Never occured to me that a wifi enabled camera couldn't accept that information from the phone.

This is complete and total greed from Canon.

Announcements