cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D Battery Issue

markteach
Contributor

My battery drains within 24 hours, even with On/Off switch turned off. I have tried 2 different batteries and 3 different chargers - same thing. It does seem to last longer if I place it in P mode before turning off. 

17 REPLIES 17

One is a Canon battery, the other is a cheap "Focus" battery that came with the "package" from Amazon. They are both holding up nicely, now, though.

@markteach wrote:

One is a Canon battery, the other is a cheap "Focus" battery that came with the "package" from Amazon. They are both holding up nicely, now, though.

I would not risk a thousand dollar camera with cheap, "no name" batteries.  Beware of counterfeit Canon batteries, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The Canon battery was boxed and sealed with the camera. I'm pretty sure it's legit. I will probably just use that one since my shooting times aren't excessive.

@markteach wrote:

The Canon battery was boxed and sealed with the camera. I'm pretty sure it's legit. I will probably just use that one since my shooting times aren't excessive.

That's a good sign.  If the camera can read the battery information, that's even better.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

markteach wrote:

That's good; and if you're lucky, that may be all you see of the problem. But if they're NiCad batteries, they may revert to their old ways if you don't run them down completely before each charging. If that requirement were to prove too annoying, you might have to buy better batteries.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority

3 days is still pretty pitiful. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Escalante101
Enthusiast

I tried to send an e-mail to Canon, and when I clicked on "Submit", it failed to connect.  So, I am posting my inquiry here.  This message does not concern an "issue" per se, rather a technical / operational inquiry.  I am planning on making my initial forays into astrophotography / light painting and have a couple of questions on the Bulb setting / Intervalometer.  I also invested in a Neewer digital timer / remote.  If I use the Bulb setting on the and use either the RC-6 or RS-60-E3 remote cable, and I set the Bulb timer, let's say for 25 seconds or so.  When I press the button on either of these devices, it will open the shutter.  My question is whether when the 25-second time expires, will the camera automatically close the shutter on its own - or - do I have to do that manually.  I did order a stopwatch, by the way, in the event the camera will not close the shutter automatically after the expiration of the 25-second time period.  Likewise, if I would use the built-in intervalometer and set it for only one photograph and a 25-second exposure length, would the camera shutter automatically close after the 25-second time period passes, or does that have to be done manually?  I would really like to be able to run into the picture and light certain areas with a flashlight for light painting purposes, and it would be very helpful to know whether the camera is going to automatically close the shutter on its own using the Bulb setting, or whether I would have to use my stopwatch and run back to the camera to press the button on the remote within my chosen exposure time length.  I hope this makes some kind of sense.  I was unable to make this determination through reading the Manual or online research.

We have one or two people in the group who are astrophotography experts, so I won't try to answer the bulk of your questions. But I would point out that virtually every cell phone in use in the world today incorporates a stopwatch.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements