cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D Battery Issue

markteach
Contributor

My battery drains within 24 hours, even with On/Off switch turned off. I have tried 2 different batteries and 3 different chargers - same thing. It does seem to last longer if I place it in P mode before turning off. 

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@markteach wrote:

My battery drains within 24 hours, even with On/Off switch turned off. I have tried 2 different batteries and 3 different chargers - same thing. It does seem to last longer if I place it in P mode before turning off. 

That's pretty odd.  I assume that the batteries have been fully charged, and that they are Canon batteries.  Does it drain the batteries without a lens attached to it, also?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Have not tried it without the lens, yet. I will try that next. Thanks!

I believe I fixed the battery issue. I'm thinking the batteries shipped with the new camera from Amazon must have been sitting on a back shelf for a long time. After fully charging and discharging each battery about 8-9 times, they each seem to be holding the charge. At least they've been hanging in there for about 3 days now and counting.................

Thanks again.

@markteach wrote:

I believe I fixed the battery issue. I'm thinking the batteries shipped with the new camera from Amazon must have been sitting on a back shelf for a long time. After fully charging and discharging each battery about 8-9 times, they each seem to be holding the charge. At least they've been hanging in there for about 3 days now and counting.................

Thanks again.

That's good news.  I hope that they're genuine Canon batteries, and that the camera recognizes them, so that you can track shutter counts on a battery charge.  Refer to page 452 of the full Instruction Manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks. I'll try that.

I have just purchased an 80d, but found that battery arrived in box with body with zero charge, if the battery is left in camera even with camera turned off the battery is dead after 6 days, canon response is to remove battery between uses not so good for picking up and being ready to shoot pictures.

never had this issue with previous 450d and have checked with friends that have 700d and 7d mk1 they can leave battery's in camera and no drain on power when off.

begining to think 80d does not turn off fully by top switch

i will try the recharge of 8-9 times to see that improves thank you

It is true that the on/off switch effectively puts the camera into a kind of "sleep" mode.  It doesn't actually cut the power (it's more of a software switch rather than a physical breaker).  This would be evidence by the fact that the camera can perform a cleaning cycle even after the swtich is thrown.

I don't believe the 80D has a built-in GPS but GPS-enabled models have the ability to leave the GPS running even if the power is off.  

Do you have any 3rd party accessories attached to the camera?  For example... a 3rd party lens or a 3rd party battery grip, etc.?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the current replies to my battery issue. After working with it for awhile, I believe I figured out the problem. Over the course of a few weeks, I managed to completely drain and recharge the battery numerous times. This seems to have fixed a "battery memory" problem it must have had probably sitting on a shelf for too long. I am now getting a very decent amount of time on my battery and am working on doing the same with the other battery. So far, the second battery seems to also be coming along nicely. I'm confident, for me, that this is solving the problem. Thanks for all of the concerns and help.

markteach wrote:

Thanks for the current replies to my battery issue. After working with it for awhile, I believe I figured out the problem. Over the course of a few weeks, I managed to completely drain and recharge the battery numerous times. This seems to have fixed a "battery memory" problem it must have had probably sitting on a shelf for too long. I am now getting a very decent amount of time on my battery and am working on doing the same with the other battery. So far, the second battery seems to also be coming along nicely. I'm confident, for me, that this is solving the problem. Thanks for all of the concerns and help.

That kind of "memory" issue was common in older nickel-cadmium (NiCad) batteries, but supposedly not in more modern nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH) or lithium batteries. It certainly shouldn't happen with the battery of an 80D. Are the batteries you're using genuine Canon batteries or those of a third-party manufacturer? If they're actually NiCads, that might explain the behavior you're seeing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements