cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D ii doesn't write to cards

beesong
Contributor

This just happened a couple of days ago; it was writing fine to cards up until then. Images show in playback mode but not on either the CF or SD card when in USB mode, either directly from camera or via card readers. Same thing with second computer. Have re-booted computer, reset camera, and everything else I can think of. I don't think the 7d has internal memory; why can I only see the pix that way? And how can I transfer them to my computers? (oh, and fresh battery, too)

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@beesong wrote:

This just happened a couple of days ago; it was writing fine to cards up until then. Images show in playback mode but not on either the CF or SD card when in USB mode, either directly from camera or via card readers. Same thing with second computer. Have re-booted computer, reset camera, and everything else I can think of. I don't think the 7d has internal memory; why can I only see the pix that way? And how can I transfer them to my computers? (oh, and fresh battery, too)

That is a little confusing to read.  Are you saying..

1. You can playback images in the camera from either card.
  2. You cannot see any files on either memory card, no matter if the card is in the camera or in a card reader.
  3. You get the same results on a second computer, using the same USB cable and card reader.
  4. It made no diference when you rebooted the computer, or reset the camera.

If you only have one card in the camera, and then just the other card in the camera, can you still playback the files in the camera?  Finally, can you still playback images with no cards in the camera?  I wouldn’t expect you to be able see any images.

Why computer OS are you using?  I do not think the OS is hiding image files from you, but who knows.  Did you format the cards in the camera, particularly the SD?  The CF card is more akin to a memory chip than a removable storage device.

Are you using the EOS Utility to download the files from the camera?  What do folders do you see on the memory cards when you use the card reader?

Most people with single memory card cameras seem to prefer the EOS Utility to download files.  While it seems most people who have dual memory card cameras seem to prefer a card reader.  Take you pick.  Either way works, and each has an advantage over the other.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks so much for helping. I hope this clarifies:

1) I can play back images from either card in the camera. (Old ones already on cards and new ones that don't show on the computer.)

2) I can see images on both cards only in the camera, not through the camera to USB port OR with cards in readers.

3) Yes - same results on second computer with same variables.

4) Yes - I've rebooted the computer and reset all settings on the camera to no avail.

Thanks again; I appreciate your efforts.

Windows 7 (desktop) and Windows 10 (laptop)

I suspect you have set the camera to RAW (cr2 files) and not RAW plus a jpg. I also suspect you don't have the Canon software installed on your computer that can read the RAW files. Have you installed the version of DPP that comes with the 7D2 onto your computers?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

That sounded hopeful, but no luck. CR2 plus jpeg set properly. I don't have the Canon software on the computers; it was never needed to transfer pix via USB. I'm pretty discouraged.

I just tried it with a different card, and it still shows the PREVIOUS shots as well as the ones that were to go to the "new" card shots as though it had internal memory but not on the "new" card. Baffling.

As with any situation when something worked and then stopped doing so my line of inquiry tends to focus on what has changed since the time it did work...   e.g.have your computers had any updates to software - OS or applications in recent times - I have had a couple of MS Updates myself but they have had no detrimental impact on reading files.   Have you deleted files from the cards in question and then taken more shots.   I have read that the deletion process can produce flakey results on some cards when that space is reused.

Personally I record in both RAW and JPG at the same time, and have never had an issue with this on the 7DII or any other camera for that matter.

Have you tried using a new card formatted by the camera to see if the shots are viable on an external device?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

These are also great suggestions. I shoot RAW and JPG together. To my knowledge, nothing has changed on either computer, but Windows does do automatic updates without notification. That's the only thing I can think of that might have changed. I did delete photos before shooting test ones to see what was causing the problem; I wonder if that is the cause. Perhaps I should re-format those cards and try test shots again. You've all given me some great education during this process; thank you. If the formating doesn't work, a friend who is quite good with the weird things that happen to my equipment (I'm usually able to solve them myself, but not this time) is coming over, and he will be able to check things out hands-on. I will report back, as it's always good to learn new things.

Is the camera set to write RAW to one card & jpg to the other? You can't see what wasn't wrote to at least 1 of the cards. Pull both cards & try shooting without them. Then try viewing what you shot. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements