cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-7D battery life with GPS on?

Lundavra
Enthusiast

I have been caught out a couple of times by finding the EOS-7D battery flat after leaving the GPS turned on overnight.  I ran the EOS-6D battery flat a few times but sure it was only after leaving GPS switch on for longer. 

Am I imagining this or does the battery run flat so quickly?

I will have to do some tests on the 7D (and 6D when repaired)

MB

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you enable the GPS, the receiver stays active even after you have turned the power switch to OFF. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I also have an EOS-6D so familiar with GPS remaning on when the camera is turned off.  I have obviously sometimes forgotten to turn off its GPS but don't think the battey ran down so quickly, will have to do some tests.

Pity there was not an option where the GPS would automatically switch itself off xx minutes after turning the camera off and switch itself on when the camera is turned on.  Perhaps too obvious for Canon!

@Lundavra wrote:

I also have an EOS-6D so familiar with GPS remaning on when the camera is turned off.  I have obviously sometimes forgotten to turn off its GPS but don't think the battey ran down so quickly, will have to do some tests.

Pity there was not an option where the GPS would automatically switch itself off xx minutes after turning the camera off and switch itself on when the camera is turned on.  Perhaps too obvious for Canon!

I believe the new 5D mark IV has that as an option selection, whether or not to turn off the GPS when camera is turned off.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had the same problem in the 6D, and despite many long exchanges with Canon, they basically said "Tough - that's the way it works" The suggested if I didn't like it, I could either (a) manually switch off the GPS before switching off the camera or (b) remove the battery! - both brain-dead suggestions!

Now, in the 5D iv, they have done EXACTLY what I suggested!.

But don't hold your breath waiting for an firmware update that brings sanity to the way that the 6D and 7D work!

Great cameras, dreadful software.

I wondering if having Logger enabled was the problem?  Must do some tests. 

Announcements