cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 77D question

jfrew
Contributor

Just purchased the 77d.  When I take an indoor flash pic with the camera in Auto the ISO is set to 3200.  When I take the same picture in the P mode  the ISO is 400.  It looks like there is a setting in the menu that allows you to set the Auto ISO.  That setting is at 400 but still takes photo at 3200.  

Convinced that I am missing something simple.  Hard to believe that they want indoor flash to be at that high of an ISO.

Thank you

Jfrew

11 REPLIES 11

jfrew wrote:

Just purchased the 77d.  When I take an indoor flash pic with the camera in Auto the ISO is set to 3200.  When I take the same picture in the P mode  the ISO is 400.  It looks like there is a setting in the menu that allows you to set the Auto ISO.  That setting is at 400 but still takes photo at 3200.  

Convinced that I am missing something simple.  Hard to believe that they want indoor flash to be at that high of an ISO.

Thank you

Jfrew

It sounds as though you're a victim of a common malady: trying to use the camera before you've read the user manual. Be patient. Once you do get around to reading the manual, things will start to fall into place.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob,

Contrary to your response, I have read the manual and found it quite easy to follow since I have owned EOS cameras for years.  I was assuming that the responses I would get from the forum would be helpful as opposed to sarcastic and degrading.    

@jfrew wrote:

Thanks Bob,

Contrary to your response, I have read the manual and found it quite easy to follow since I have owned EOS cameras for years.  I was assuming that the responses I would get from the forum would be helpful as opposed to sarcastic and degrading.    

Good. Then you understand how ETTL flash works. As you know, the algorithm assumes that "all flash is fill flash". So the camera meters for the background, and the flash fills in the darker foreground areas with no blown highlights. Because the background lighting is unpredictable, the camera may have to use heroic measures, including changing the ISO speed (assuming that auto-ISO is active), to get it right. When it can't, you can have situations where only the highlights are properly lit. You've undoubtedly had that experience when trying to use ETTL flash outdoors at night.

The usual way to compensate indoors is to use bounce flash, with or without the diffuser plate in place, to even up the background lighting. Since you're now relying primarily on the flash's ability to shut off at the proper illumination level, it can help to use manual exposure with a default setting (e.g., f/5.6 or f/6.3 at the sync speed), thus giving the flash full control. ("Full control" is a bit of an oversimplification, of course, since both the camera and the flash are in communication to match the manual setting to the flash output, but you get the picture.) In the absence of the manual setting, the camera is likely to choose an aperture that's too wide, or a shutter speed that's too slow, to provide an optimal result.

I apologize for my flippant response to your initial post. But in my defense, I'll just point out that when you ask like a newbie, it's likely you'll be answered like a newbie. Otherwise, people accuse us of deliberately showing off our command of technical jargon.

Bob

Thanks for your sincere advice Bob.  

I made a call today to "canon support" and spoke with the most unbelievable support person.  My question was answered perfectly.  He even asked if there was anything else he could help me with. ....  He even thanked me for chosing canon......

He didn't even show off by burying me in technical jargon.  That's a number I will keep handy when I fail to read the manual in the future.

@jfrew wrote:

Thanks for your sincere advice Bob.  

I made a call today to "canon support" and spoke with the most unbelievable support person.  My question was answered perfectly.  He even asked if there was anything else he could help me with. ....  He even thanked me for chosing canon......

He didn't even show off by burying me in technical jargon.  That's a number I will keep handy when I fail to read the manual in the future.

Canon's support is reputed to be the best in the industry. It's one of the reasons we use their equipment.

Bob

"Canon's support is reputed to be the best in the industry."

Maybe the best without limiting it to the photography industry.  Companies could learn from places like Canon.  When you are buying anything, it is best to consider the overall company and support.

It could be a long ride otherwise.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm a few months late to this conversation, and for that I apologize. I just joined this community, and this is my very first post.

I upgraded from a T3i to a 77d at the start of the year and I LOVE it. I can't answer your question because I never really turn my dial off of manual. HOWEVER at work I use a Nikon d7100, and have to shoot in P mode frequently. Since I'm outside a lot, and frequently walking from shade to sunlight, I have the ISO senisitivity set up in a very wide range from 500 to 6400. This seems to work out pretty well for me. Until now, having read your initial question, I wonder if the 77d has a way to set up ISO sensitivity?? It's okay to call me a newbie, or accuse me of not reading the "ENTIRE" manual. Both are true. I can take it!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Convinced that I am missing something..."

Me too!

I guess I don't undersamd what you are asking?  In Auto mode you have auto ISO set in P mode you don't.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I do understand that in the Auto mode  I would have auto ISO which is exactly why I am concerned.  If you were shooting an indoor picture in auto ......with flash......would you expect auto ISO to select 3200?   My previous EOS cameras would have selected an ISO of 400.  

Thanks

Announcements