Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

EOS-77D: is it possible to retrieve and keep…

… the three component images taken by a Canon 77D when in an HDR mode, please?

I believe that the 70D cannot do this.

Thanks!

VIP

Re: EOS-77D: is it possible to retrieve and keep…

@MarkSealey wrote:

… the three component images taken by a Canon 77D when in an HDR mode, please?

I believe that the 70D cannot do this.

Thanks!

Yes, make the HDR in Canon’s DPP, after you download the images to a computer, instead of letting the camera do it..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Waddizzle!

I'm new to HDR; and haven't got my 77D yet.

How exactly do I 'make the HDR in the 77D's DPP'; and I right that the 77D can extract the three HDR images while the 70D cannot?

If so, I'd be better off getting HDR-handling software like Aurora, wouldn't I?

Your patience with a novice much appreciated!

[link disabled per forum guidelines]

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Waddizzle - I haven't got my 77D yet so haven't been able to look at DPP.

Are you saying that it's possible to split the three HDR exposures in the Canon DPP software ane export them in some way, please?

I appreciate your help and patience with a novice :-)

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I looked at this page and am still a little confused. My apologies.

I have read good reports of MacPhun's Aurora.

Could I either save and use three separate (bracketed) exposures directly from the 77D; and/or export them from DPP to use in Aurora please?

Thanks again in advance for taking the time to clarify and help someone new to this :-) !!!

[link removed per forum guidelines]

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have a 70D or a 77D.   On my 5D4, the HDR menu has an option to save source images ... setting it to "all images" means you get the initial 3 images plus the HDR result (4 images in all).  The option is in the HDR printing sub-menu.

But this assumes you want to use the in-camera HDR.  Lots of photo processing programs offer more control over how the images are combined.  Photomatix is probably the favorite among photographers who shoot HDR.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tim,

Thanks; Yes - I actually get my 77D today :-)

Have no idea whether its HDR menu allows the separate export you kindly mention. If it does, I'm in business, I think, aren't I?

And you're right - that's exactly what I want to do. I want to get more control (Aurora in my case) over HDR.

Your rely appreciated!

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Tim; I don't know yet (get it today) whether the 77D allows export of all four images used by the camera's own HDR capabaility.

If it does, then that's exactly what I want to do - process the separate images in Aurora.

If it does not (allow four HDR image export individually), can I use bracketing in the same way as the camera uses HDR, please?

VIP

@MarkSealey wrote:

Thanks, Waddizzle - I haven't got my 77D yet so haven't been able to look at DPP.

Are you saying that it's possible to split the three HDR exposures in the Canon DPP software ane export them in some way, please?

I appreciate your help and patience with a novice :-)

My apologies for not being more clear.  When you use the in-camera HDR feature, the camera requires that you use JPEG format, and the camera does not save the original files.  Only Canon's professional cameras allow you to shoot in-camera HDR, while retaining the original images.

You are better off downloading the image files, and converting them to HDR in a computer.  One word about doing so, though, if you apply any processing, it is best to apply it equally to all photos in the HDR set.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Occasional Contributor

Please don't apologize, Waddizzle: I am very grateful for your help!

So with the 77D I cannot ever extract the three component (and composite HDR) images for use in third party dedicated HDR software like Aurora?

But when you say:

> You are better off downloading the image files, and converting them to HDR in a computer.

How do I do that; are they in fact kept as three successive JPEGs for me to convert - e.g. in Aurora or similar?

Would my SD card (etc) have three 'versions' of the same file?

I guess I'm missing somethig here - my failing!

Thanks again for being so patientSmiley Happy