cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D soft images

drrhein
Contributor

Hello Everybody.  My name is Dennis and I'm a newb, not to dslr's but to this model, so please have mercy on me.

First question: When using the image processing software, PF 4  should I be able to go to 100% and still have a sharp image?

Every image I take, with any lens, whether I focus manually or with AF, seems soft to me and I can't often make it sharper in post. I use raw.

MY Iphone 8+ does fine at 100% and is razor sharp.

Next: How in the world do you get good focus on water fountains? I can't get any kind of decent focus with MF or AF.

The attached examples are resized to make size limit but to get the size limit I'm afraid I lost resolution, so there's another question.

BTW, my 10D does same thing

Dennis

Blossom small.jpgBlosson red small.jpg

32 REPLIES 32

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Try making something like a 800 x 600 px crop of a detail area of the whole image where you think you're seeing the problem. And try to leave your EXIF data intact so we can see the actual shot settings.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"When using the image processing software, PF 4  should I be able to go to 100% and still have a sharp image?"

Not necessarily.  What is PF4?  Does it have Canon lens correction built in? 

Focusing on a fountain or any subject that doesn't offer a good point to focus on is easy. Find something that is nearly the same distance and focus on it. Keep your finger on the shutter button and recompose. Plus there always the old way and do a manual focus. Not as easy as it was in the olden days but still viable.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“The 1/10 shot was MF using live view X10. inside with bright defused white lights, on tripod and released with external release. If there was shake in the system I don't know where it came from.”

Actually, shooting with a slow shutter while still in Live View mode is a good way to create camera shake from the mirror slap.

Take the camera out of Live View before you take the shot. Using mirror lockup will improve the images, too.

But first, do the test shots as suggested.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I thought the mirror stayed up in live view? So lock mirror up, focus with live view then turn live view off and remote shoot?

Yes I'm going to do the shots in the AM. It's 97 degrees and 3000% humidity here now so as soon as the camera gets out of the bag it fogs up. I'll leave it in the car tonight so that won't happen in the morning. Thanks

Great, don't do any extra ordinary settings. Let the camera do its thing.  Do not use LV, use the VF. Just the settings I suggested. No heavy editing either, lens correction is OK. No slider adjustments. We want is as basic as possible.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

This sort of caught my eye in the EXIF data. I don't remember ever seeing a mention of an "Easy Shooting" Mode before, at least not with my 60D.

EXIF_70D.jpg

I got the settings reset and managed to get a couple of shots in.

p mode iso 200 AF as requested, still looks soft to me. 2nd image is same subject using iphone 8+

The Iphone pic is orders of magnitude sharper and better in my opinion. Which seems odd because the iphone is 12.1 Mp and Canon 20+ Mp although you have to zoom a bit to see it. It's more obvious at 50% on the little flag

IMG_0812.JPGIphone palm.jpg

@drrhein wrote:

I got the settings reset and managed to get a couple of shots in.

p mode iso 200 AF as requested, still looks soft to me. 2nd image is same subject using iphone 8+

The Iphone pic is orders of magnitude sharper and better in my opinion. Which seems odd because the iphone is 12.1 Mp and Canon 20+ Mp although you have to zoom a bit to see it. It's more obvious at 50% on the little flag

The 70D photo contains no EXIF data.  Let’s play 20 questions.

What were the exposure settings?  What lens did you use?  What was the focal length of the shot?  Did you use a tripod?  

Was the shot manually focused?  If not, which AF mode and AF point did you use?

Due to their small size, smart phones tend to have much shorter hyperfocal distances than your average DSLR.  This means when you take a photo with a smart phone, it will look like snapshot.  Everything will be in focus.  When you take a photo with a DSLR, you can get depth of field effects.  Sometimes it is very noticeable, and sometimes it is not.  

On the other hand, some DSLR lenses are simply soft, and do not capture tack sharp images, at all.  You are blaming the camera, forgetting the fact that a DSLR is a camera/lens combo.  Images out of any given camera will never be better than the glass you attach to it.

You said to use P mode, resetting the camera caused the raw to become jpg. P mode decided the settings but I did use autofocus, no tripod. I took a half dozen the same way this AM and I'll try to crop enough to meet the 10MB limit this PM.

@BurnUnit wrote:

This sort of caught my eye in the EXIF data. I don't remember ever seeing a mention of an "Easy Shooting" Mode before, at least not with my 60D.

EXIF_70D.jpg

I also see “Macro Mode” and “Digital Zoom”, neither of which are found on an EOS 70D.  Have a nice day.

Announcements