Did you mean: 

EOS 70D or Nikon 7100? Please advise

my_slr
Apprentice

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Both will deliver excellent results, but keep in mind the kind of photography you want to do when you make your choice.

But this is a Canon forum, so buy the Canon EOS 70D.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This could be argued a dozen different ways and there's no right answer.  But I'll give you what I think is my relatively unbiased comparison (keeping in mind that I am and always have been a Canon owner):

First a couple points: people put far too much weight in to cameras and even lenses.  Usually it's the creativity, or lack thereof, of the person behind it that makes the difference.  Better equipment gives you more versatility in certain situations, and doesn't make a difference in others.  Both Canon and Nikon are major companies and make excellent equipment; spending the same amount for either brand will likely get you similar cameras.

That said, the differences I see between the two companies and their DSLRs are:

Sensors: Nikon uses Sony sensors that are better at low ISO.  They provide significantly more (2 stops) dynamic range at base ISO.  Whether or not you will use this extra dynamic range is debatable, but it is a measurable difference.  Canon sensors, on the other hand, excel at high ISO performance.  The difference between Canon and Nikon/Sony is less marked than the low ISO difference, but in my opinion, noticeable.

Lenses: Canon is the undisputed leader in lenses.  I don't think there's much of an argument here.  Not that Nikon doesn't make good lenses, but Canon has several specialty lenses that Nikon doesn't.  That said, are you going to be the type that owns/needs these specialty lenses?  Who knows.  If you just buy a couple of the standard lenses there's not much difference between the two.

Cameras: Nikon offers a high megapixel line that Canon doesn't.  For certain types of photography I see an advantage to this, though some would argue otherwise.  For many types of photography there is no advanteage, though some would argue otherwise.  Canon focuses more on high ISO performance lines.  In my biased opinion the 5d3 is one of the best event cameras out there.  That is, a full frame camera with terrific high ISO performance and a good AF system.  This is a very debateable statement. 

I know nothing about the Nikon 7100, so I can't compare it to the 70D.  I think the 70D is just an OK stills camera.  It added some features, and had a modest improvement in IQ, but didn't knock any socks off (again, just my opinion).  For video it's quite good, but I don't do video.  Personally, if I was to buy a crop sensor camera right now it'd probably be the 7D2, but that's me. 

I never find lens option as solid point to purchase a camera system (again it's just me). I know Canon has a lot of lens options however it doesn't matter if I don't have money to buy it all. And even if other companies don't have as many lens, they have most of the "common" focal length. For special lens, not everyone needs them or has the money for them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Shopping for a DSLR is more complicated than ever. Bodies keep being replaced by newer & "better" ones but the vast majority of users these days aren't using their cameras to their full potential. The brand you choose needs to have a full system of lenses, accessories such as good flashes, shutter release systems etc. You also need to take a hard look at what you want to shoot because some venues require better AF systems both in body & in the lens. Many bodies list the FPS rate and how many consecutive shots you can take before the buffer fills & prevents you from shooting even more frames until some files get copied to the card(s). This is the weakest link in the D7100's feature set for me because I shoot action and the D7100 doesn't do that very well compared to my Canon gear.

Yes I have a D7100 & bought it to compare it to my heavier Canon pro bodies (an unfair comparison & I know that) & the D7100 doesn't meet "my" needs but more so because I can't buy lenses that are equal in quality / AF speed to match my Canon L series lenses. This may not be an issue for the majority of Nikon owners but take the time to really decide where you intend to go with your photography. The D7100 itself is an excellent camera, with a LOT of usable features that be fine tuned to more precisely control how your photos turn out "in camera" The manual is quite a read, and for those who want to experiment & keep track of their results it can be fine tuned to very specific tasks.

I'll be selling the Nikon gear & likely buying a 7D mark 2 which seems to be a better fit for my use (still watching how well it performs in specific uses before buying) but if I didn't need the extra fast & accurate AF I do need both Canon & Nikon could easily cover the vast majority of my other needs photography wise.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You haven't said whether this is your first move to a DSLR or if it's an upgrade. Whenever I'm thinking of upgrading I download the manuals of the cameras I'm looking at & study them carefully. By the time I buy a camera I know most of it's featuress & how to work the menu system. I also print the pages that I know relate to the important settings I'm not familiar with. Those pages go into my camera bag so I'll have them when using the camera in field tests.

Knowing your camera & it's features has a lot more to do with results than the brand. If you intend to buy a "good" camera from any manufacturer and expect to shoot in Auto or Program all the time you will be paying a lot for the features you aren't using & that have very little to do with your photos vs buying a lower end model from the same manufacturer.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@hsbn wrote:

I never find lens option as solid point to purchase a camera system (again it's just me). I know Canon has a lot of lens options however it doesn't matter if I don't have money to buy it all. And even if other companies don't have as many lens, they have most of the "common" focal length. For special lens, not everyone needs them or has the money for them.

Here's something that does matter: Before you buy a D7100, make sure they've corrected the problem of oil falling on the sensor. That's a show stopper, in my opinion.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks everyone for all the comments. 

I will graduate from Canon Powershot S3IS to a DSLR.

jfulen
Apprentice

My biggest "irk" is that the Nikon will meter at the selected focus point - Canon meters from the center point them you must recompose.

It's workable but not idea.

Based on the experience I've had in my local photo club, the Nikon owners have their cameras in the repair shop many more times than those of use shooting Canon.

"Canon meters from the center point them you must recompose."

Actually, ....

Evaluative mode does this, it uses the AF points in its exposure calculations, giving more emphasis to the point that has achieved focus as well as factoring in those that are almost in focus.  You must pay attention to make sure the focus point is where you want to meter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements