cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D display screen not working because of humidity - Canon cutomer service totally unhelpful

vkontra
Apprentice

Hi!

I have purchased an EOS 70D last October. Everything was working perfectly until I took it to the Caribbean, where on the second day the display screen stopped working. I could still take photos, but nothing was shown on the screen. I currently live in Canada. I took the camera to the store, where they told me that I have to send the camera (that still has warranty on it) at my own cost to the official repair centre. After a week, i got a letter from them, saying the following:

"We have received your equipment for evaluation and repair. Upon further examination it was determined that we are unable to repair your equipment therefore

Canon has suggested a replacement product to you in exchange for your original unit at the cost detailed below. Please respond to this estimate promptly to

avoid having your equipment returned.

We will replace your equipment with a EOS 70D. The new serial number is not yet available.

Upon inspection, technician found unit is beyond repair due to moisture damage. Estimate has been adjusted to reflect replacement suggestion."

I am furious. They are offering me to buy a new camera for the same price. I called customer service and asked them to explain the letter. They said they will send me photos of the inside of the camera, where they have found mositure. I asked them to re-check it, as I didn't misuse it, I didn't drop it in the water, or anything of that kind. They said the camera must have been used in a very humid/or very cold place. Can they be serious? Is that really my fault? I mean, I bought the camera to be able to take pictures anywhere I go. I didn't do anything extra to it or with it. I will take this as far as I can, I just don't find this a normal response. Any suggestions??? Anyone had the same problem before?

19 REPLIES 19

hsbn
Whiz

Enviromental damage is not covered under Warranty Terms. Yes you bought the camera to take photos but doesn't mean ANYWHERE. That's why people pay more to get camera or lens that have good weather sealed. I understand your pain and frustration. I would be mad too. Try to call and talk with different person, maybe ask them to replace you some kind of refurbish one or something. Good luck and I hope you can work something out with them. Or maybe you can take the camera back and take it to some reputable camera repair shop and have them check it for you. You may not get it fixed for free but at least it's much better than having to buy a new one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I'm Canadian too & vacation in the Caribbean (Cozumel Mx) regularly & know the risks & protect my gear. Just 1 single drop of salt water or even sweat can kill an electronic device. To the best of my knowledge even the pro bodies can't be considered "water proof" so internal damage from salt water is not covered by ANY manufacturer unless the camera is advertised as "waterproof" & intended for snorkeling etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

cale_kat
Mentor

Who can say? You're mad, I get that. Why do you want me to be mad? I can't fix your camera and as others have mentioned, the warranty coverage only goes so far. Good luck with your service experience.

I'm with Vkontra on this one.  I'd be livid.  You shouldn't need "professional weather sealing", I use in quotes since Canon doesn't even specify what that means, to shoot in some humidity.   Going out in the rain is one thing, but taking your camera to a tropical location shouldn't be a concern in and of itself.  Especially a 70D. While not "pro line", it's not a Rebel either.  Canon claimed that it has "water and dust resistance 'equivalent to the EOS-1N'".   I know Canon never makes objective claims about what this means, but providing I did nothing more than take photos in a humid environment, I'd be pissed.

Not that it eases your pain, but I used my 450D backpacking through tropics for 6 months or so, and was caugh in downpours several times, and never had a problem.  Seems you got unlucky with your 70D  😞  sorry.

Thanks for the support Skirball, I've been waiting for someone to give me a somewhat positive reply. I just didn't think it was necessary for me to state the obvious, like "yes I do take care of my camera, I do have protection, I don't take baths with it, I don't leave it out in the rain, etc. What I don't understand is, that I am being treated as if I am the only one in the world taking photos during a family vacation. I didn't do anything that is not supposed to be done with the camera. I have had dslr cameras before, never had a problem.

I am still waiting for customer service to send me the photos about the moisture. And I have also received a letter today, that they are re-looking into the case. Maybe there is hope, after all.

Oh...and new information is, that apparently they have not found the purchase date on the ORIGINAL receipt I have sent with the camera, so they marked it as "out of warranty". I have re-sent them a copy of the original and now I am waiting for their response. I'm starting to think that they just didn't want to mess with it...

Every post ought to have a learning opportunity so I am attaching a list compiled by a Canon technical advisor addressing the problem of handling photographic equipment in hot weather.

Hot Weather Photo Equipment Handling Tips 

Compiled by Chuck Westfall, Technical Advisor/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

1.) Avoid Condensation:

This is a biggie. If temperature and humidity differentials are high enough, condensation may occur when moving photo equipment from a relatively cool environment such as an air-conditioned vehicle, to a warmer one. When condensation forms inside a lens, for instance, internal elements can fog up, preventing clear images. When condensation gets bad enough inside a camera body, it can cause short circuits resulting in unexpected shutdowns. Worse yet, when equipment temperatures finally equalize to the warmer environment, water droplets on glass surfaces inside a lens may dry out and leave spots, mildew or fungus that can’t be cleaned by the photographer.

Similarly, when condensation dries up inside a camera, fungus, mildew, rust or corrosion may be left behind on printed circuit boards, viewfinder eyepieces, shutter curtains, or other internal components. If any of this happens, the equipment may be permanently damaged.

Incidentally, no matter how good it is, ‘weather sealing’ cannot prevent condensation, nor was it ever intended to do so. Damage caused by condensation is considered a user error, and it will void warranty coverage. One of the best methods to avoid condensation is to allow photo equipment to warm up gradually before exposing it to a hot environment. If this is not practical, consider placing the equipment in an airtight, resealable plastic bag with silica gel packets inside before exposing it to heat. (Don’t forget to squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag before you seal it, otherwise this technique may not work.) Using this method, the condensation will form on the bag instead of the equipment. Once the condensation on the bag has dried out, it should be safe to remove the equipment and start using it.

On a related matter, in hot and humid conditions, perspiration may cause condensation to form on your camera’s viewfinder eyepiece. Some camera manufacturers including Canon offer anti-fog eyepieces to prevent condensation from forming.

2.)  What To Do When Condensation Has Occurred:

Use a soft, dry clean cloth to remove moisture from exterior surfaces. If possible, place the equipment in a dry, well-ventilated area to prevent further condensation from occurring.

3.)  Cover Equipment When Not In Use:

If you must leave your camera equipment exposed to high heat and/or humidity conditions for long periods of time, consider covering it with a dry white towel when it’s not in use. Even when condensation is not an issue, heat absorption is another big concern for professional cameras and lenses, and especially digital SLRs. Cameras are designed to operate within a specific range of temperature and humidity conditions. For instance, the EOS-1D Mark IV professional camera has a high-end temperature rating of 45C/113F and a humidity rating of 85% or less. Since most camera bodies are black, internal temperatures can exceed this limit even when the ambient temperature is below it.

4.)  Avoid or Limit the Use of Camera Settings that Generate Heat:

Heat build-up caused by ambient temperatures is one problem, but the other side of the coin is heat build-up caused by the camera itself. This has become more of an issue recently with professional digital SLRs due to the incorporation of new features such as Live View and HD video recording. These features generate heat from several camera components including battery packs, image sensors and LCD screens. If you plan on using Live View or recording video outdoors in high-temperature environments with your digital SLR, there are a couple of things you can do to minimize heat build-up inside the camera:

• Limit the use of Live View for still shots. This will minimize heat build-up from the image sensor and LCD screen.

• Use an external monitor when recording video. This will shut off the camera’s LCD screen.

• Use an AC Adapter Kit. This will reduce heat build-up by eliminating battery packs.

• Set the camera’s Auto Power Off setting to a reasonably short interval. Let the camera help to minimize heat build-up by allowing it to shut down automatically after a minute or two of inactivity. This will also conserve battery power.

5.)  Storing Equipment in Hot Weather:

In high temperature environments with ambient humidity over 80%, use silica gel packets in your gadget bag or equipment case to absorb excessive moisture and protect your camera gear. Silica gel packets can be purchased in quantity from professional camera dealers and chemical supply houses, and are available in clear or moisture-indicating varieties. For long-term storage, consider storing camera equipment in Tupperware or similar sealable plastic containers with silica gel packets to absorb moisture and prevent fungus and mildew. In severely humid environments, even silica gel packets may be insufficient; so-called “camera dry cabinets” from manufacturers such as Toyo Living are available for such conditions.  No matter what kind of storage container you use, ideally the humidity level should be less than 60% for maximum protection. Relatively inexpensive hygrometers of the type used for cigar thermidors are available to monitor humidity levels inside the containers.  Remember to test hygrometers at least once a year, and recalibrate them if necessary.

6.)  Store Battery Packs Separately and Keep Equipment Clean:

To prevent corrosion of your camera’s electrical contacts, remove battery packs prior to long-term storage. Also, as a matter of good housekeeping, clean cameras and lenses regularly and thoroughly. This is especially important in hot and humid weather, or after your camera equipment has been exposed to rain or condensation, to prevent mildew and fungus from forming.

© August, 2010 by Chuck Westfall

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/08/keeping-your-camera-gear-safe-in-the-heat/

Thanks for this, I really find it useful. It's good to know.

Still...I find it a one in a million case scenario. I wasn't the only one taking photographs on my holiday. About 90% of travellers do so nowadays with DSLR cameras. And I am mad about it. Canon makes me feel like an alien, who has done something that shouldn't have been done. That's my luck, I guess. The camera was brand new...and this is NOT OK to happen.

You write as though the situation with Canon warranty repair has a forgone conclusion. Yet you haven't heard back on a review of your claim.

Good luck with your claim.

Announcements