cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Not Working in Dark

um012015
Contributor

I started taking a photography class this past January.  Unfortunately my professor teaches everything with Nikon and doesn't know very much about Canon.  I bought my Canon this January and have been learning all the ins and outs. However, when I try to take a picture in the dark (part of my assignment), regardless of the setting, the camera will not snap.  I have to turn on some lit before it would work.  The professor took several shots with his Nikon in class with the lens cap on to demonstrate in class.  Do any of you know why?

10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority
It is trying to autofocus and it can't in the dark.

Focus the camera with lights on. Turn AF to MF (manual focus) with the switch on your lens. Turn off lights. Take picture.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks a whole lot.  It worked.

In "One Shot" mode (the default), the camera uses "focus priority".  It will not snap a picture until it can confirm focus lock.  It WILL take the shot if you switch off auto-focus (because now you've basically told the camera not to worry about focus.)

In "AI Servo" mode, it uses "release priority".  It will take a picture as soon as you fully press the shutter button and it will do this whether or not it was focused.

When shooting in the dark you would presumably be using flash OR a tripod. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim you are right about servo letting you shoot without focus but I recommended he focus first and turn AF off. If you put it in servo it lets you snap shots but they won't be in focus if it is dark and the AF is just hunting.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Unfortunately my professor teaches everything with Nikon and doesn't know very much ..."

I agree with this part!  I have a Nikon D3 in my hands right now and I garrantee you it will not take a picture with the lens cap on and the lens in AF.  It is no differen than your D70 in that reguard.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks to you all for your responses.  I am sure as I go along with my class and learn more about the camera, I will have more questions.  Thnaks

I've done that. Tried to take a photo with the lens cap on..... 😞

scottmurray
Contributor

Another solution  use a flashlight to illuminate your subject for focus..

@scottmurray wrote:

Another solution  use a flashlight to illuminate your subject for focus..

OK, if you've actually tried it. But I believe that AF assist beams tend to be biased towards the red end of the spectrum, while modern flashlights try to radiate at frequencies that are a better match for the sensitivity of the human eye. So you may need to use a flashlight that's bright enough for that not to matter.

Also, it's easier to use a flashlight as an assist beam if you happen to have three hands.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements