cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D - Mode Dial problem...

patricio7707
Contributor

Hi ... I'm Patricio from Argentina.

One week ago I received from the U.S. a Canon EOS 70D.
It worked ok until yesterday.

Since today, when I want to choose different modes with the dial mode, the camera just sets: P or A+ (auto).

- If I select A+ mode (Auto mode) or "Disabling Flash mode" or "Manual mode" .... the camera sets as A+ (Auto mode).

- If I select modes: CA, SCN, C, B, AV, TV, or P ... the camera sets as "P mode".

I have read some similar cases in other models of EOS cameras ... they recommen do a "hard reset" by removing the main battery and clock battery.
I tried to do that, but this model (EOS 70D) seems to have a battery for the date and clock ... but it is internal, It`s a rechargeable battery.

I guess as a new model, there is no more than the actual firmware, that comes from factory ... so I can`t try to update, since there is no other firmware available.

Anyone have any suggestions before taking it for service?

Thanks!

you can see what's wrong with my 70D here: (the mode selected by the dial, it's not the same on the screen)

EOS 70D - Mode Dial Problem...

17 REPLIES 17

well .... 5 months later, after replacement of the top cover, I have my 70D finally fully operational. 

(5 months of waiting because I live in Argentina and here the Canon Service depends on that Canon Latin America send the parts).IMG_83569238922343.jpeg

Did they do it in case of warranty or you needed to pay?

Or you just ordered the part and made it yourself?

(how much it cost?)

txanks

I bought the camera on a trip I made to USA. I live in Argentina.

The warranty is valid in the country of purchase. I contacted via email with Canon USA and they told me that I take my camera to them, but it was impossible for me.

The camera was repaired by an official agent of Canon here in Argentina.
The total cost was about 150 dollars.

On eBay, the piece is worth about 70-80 dolars.

http://goo.gl/f1VxhJ

Safa_Sid
Apprentice

Im having the same problem rightnow. Canon gave me an estimate of $200 because it is out of warranty. I have had this baby for 3.5 years now and it didnt do this before. Occasionally it would but not for so long.. I have ordered a new battery to see if that would help solve the problem. I cannot send it to canon because 200$ would be too much for just a dial fix, so im gonna try somewhere else where they could probably do it for cheaper.

Hopefully the battery would solve it. Im glad your canon is fixed!

I having this problem. Can anybody solve it ? 

Did you try to reset to factory settings? This helped me.

Hi! can you solve it with factory reset?  If I don't use the camera for a while and remove the battery it works but some times the problem is back... One year and still 😞

Hello,

I experienced the same issue while repairing a 5D3, it came out that the issue was caused by the top cover flat cable not properly connecting to the main board of the camera. Solved by cleaning with isopropilc alchool the flat contacts. Hope this solution might help someone in the same trouble.

Announcements