Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

EOS 6d won't power down

Hi all,

My EOS 6d seems to have a problem. Now and then, when I turn off the camera with the power switch, the screen stays on (but frozen). Camera is then not responding to anything. When I remove the battery and insert it again, everything is fine again. 

Any thoughts on what the problem is? I already set it back to factory settings in the menu and updated the firmware.  

VIP

Re: EOS 6d won't power down

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

Do you see a Sensor Cleaning message or does it freeze immediately when powered off?

Are you certain of the quality of the battery?  Does it happen with other batteries?

Has the camera ever gotten wet, or been subjected to high humidity?

Have you done any firmware updates to the camera? 

Resetting was a good idea.

Two ways to go. 

Best way: Send to Canon for evaluation and repair

Optional steps:  

Try a fresh (new) battery (may or may not help) not likely to help though

If you are one or more FW versions behind, you can try to update it. (Poses some risk) 

In the end, Servce is usually the best option

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.02)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 2.00) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro1903 ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra
VIP

@Johannes1979 wrote:

Hi all,

My EOS 6d seems to have a problem. Now and then, when I turn off the camera with the power switch, the screen stays on (but frozen). Camera is then not responding to anything. When I remove the battery and insert it again, everything is fine again. 

Any thoughts on what the problem is? I already set it back to factory settings in the menu and updated the firmware.  

Try it body only.  Remove the memory card, and any lens, flash, etc.   Does the problem persist?  If so, contact Canon Support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

is your problem solved or not? and did you find what tha issue? i have tha same problem screen frozen canon 6D