Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

EOS 6D

Hi, I hope ive done this in the right section : I have an EOS6D & today when i took a picture the red warning light on the right hand side that comes on when you take a picture, stays on. It is then impossible to operate the camera until i remove the battery & then put it back in. Has anyone else experienced this ? & if so have did you resolve it please ?

Thanks

VIP

Re: EOS 6D

@ColinC wrote:

Hi, I hope ive done this in the right section : I have an EOS6D & today when i took a picture the red warning light on the right hand side that comes on when you take a picture, stays on. It is then impossible to operate the camera until i remove the battery & then put it back in. Has anyone else experienced this ? & if so have did you resolve it please ?

Thanks

The red light means that the memory card is being accessed.  You might also see a cryptic message or flashing icons in the viewfinder to give a small hint as to what the camera is doing, or trying to do.

I suggest two things.  Reset the camera back to factory defaults.  Purchase a new FULL SIZE memory card.  A 32 GB card would be ideal.  Your camera uses UHS-I cards, and nearly every SDHC 32 GB card is UHS-I.  Be sure to low level format it in the camera, too.

It is when you get into the SDXC cards, 64 GB and up, than you begin to encounter UHS-II cards, which are not fully compatible most Canon DSLR cameras made at that time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
VIP

Re: EOS 6D

" It is then impossible to operate the camera until i remove the battery & then put it back in."

This can be indicative of several problems. None of which are really good.  I would certainly go the new "correct" SD card.  Very important, get a known high quality brand from a known good retailer.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!