cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D wifi just stopped working

kalgra
Contributor

Im hoping someone else has experienced this and has a solution.

I use the wifi function on both my camera bodies when shooting realesate while walking around the property with a flash.

Anyway on my last shoot it just kept dropping connection. I notied that the wifi icon is hilighted white but says off even though the the wifi is enabled. Powercycleing and clearting all wifi setting does not help. If I disable wifi the icon goes grey and says off, I enable it again and it shoes as highlited whited but still says off. It allows me to pair with any of my IOS devices but as soon as I exit from the wifi function menu in the camera it disconnects.

I do not have this issue with my 70D.

Anyone have any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

kalgra
Contributor

I figured it out! Not sure if this is a design flaw or what but if I have wifi enabled then select the Q menu and go to the wifi icon and select it then choose connect to device it works. Seems a little wierd, I would think the wifi function menue should override this especially when all wifi setting are reset but I guess not. Hopefully this helps someone else down the road.

If your camera can "see" multiple devices that it can connect to, which one should it select?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Perhaps that is the intent. Actually it makes sense .However, I would still thik the wifi functions menu should override that when you are selecting the device you want to connect to though.

I suspect that the functions menu sets a default device with which to connect, but does not actually initiate making the connection. 

You know I think you are right! Its a little misleading only in that it does iniate a connection, but I think to your point its only doing that in order to configure the connection with the device hense the reason it imidediatly disconnects once you exit the menu.

Thank you for your insight I do think that helps greatly in understanding how the engineers intended this to work.

On a side note I suspect this is also the reasoning for the poor reviews of the IOS app in itunes as others are probably experiening something similar, because once you understand it and getting working it seems to work great and dosnt seem to have the lag the older app did. Just my observation.

I have a 6D, but have yet to use the wifi.  I suspect that once you set the default device, and enable the wifi, turning camera on will cause it to attempt to make the default connection that you have defined. 

In other words, turning it off and back on would "fix" the connection.  Good luck.  Happy photo ops, to you.

Announcements