cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D does not find or produce WiFi signals

davefry04
Apprentice

Hello All -

I am thinking there is an issue with the internal workings of the WiFi antenna in my new Canon 6D.  When setting up the wifi functions and trying to connect to a smartphone via "Camera access point mode", none of my devices find the WiFi signal that is supposedly being emitted by the 6D.  I've tried entering the SSID manually to no avail. 

When choosing the other option of "Infrastructure Mode", the camera is unable to find ANY wireless networks around me.  I live in a very busy neighborhood and there are probably 20-30 wireless networks visible on ALL of my other devices.  Also, after searching for networks the first time and it finds none, when you select "search again", the camera will just sit in the screen that says "Busy...Please Wait" and will not leave the screen unless you push the shutter button to interrupt the process.  Again, the camera seems unable to detect wireless networks.

Something seems wrong internally with the camera, but I wanted to throw it out to everyone to see if any of you have any information on how I can go about fixing this issue.  I was very excited to try out the live viewing via my iPhone/iPad while setting up Landscape shots, but obviously that won't happen until this issue is diagnosed and solved.  

Can anyone help?!

Thanks,

Dave

10 REPLIES 10

Kaweeka
Contributor
Can't help since the whole process went smoothly for me (and I am very challenged when it comes to networks - so if auto set ups don't work I'm done). Never used the Infastructure Mode before so I tried that and it and picked up all the neighbors networks. Not sure what magic is required to get yours working but sure sounds like some bad hardware.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? I can't imagine there is anything I am doing incorrectly in procedure. The process is extremely simple to complete. I am planning on calling for support today, but I figured I would throw it out to the message boards first in case I was making a mistake that I was overlooking...

Mykolas
Authority

Hi davefry04!

Thanks for posting.

It is possible that the numerous wireless networks flooding your immediate area are causing interference of some kind.  If you were to take the camera and your smartphone elsewhere to an area that is much less crowded with wireless networks, do you still experience the same issue?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@inactive010823 wrote:

Hi davefry04!

Thanks for posting.

It is possible that the numerous wireless networks flooding your immediate area are causing interference of some kind.  If you were to take the camera and your smartphone elsewhere to an area that is much less crowded with wireless networks, do you still experience the same issue?

Congestion shouldn't be an issue at such a short distance. It's much more likely that the camera is not correctly configured as an access point or the phone is not correctly configured to talk to it. Note that if any form of encryption (of which the wi-fi standards support several) is being used, both the camera and the phone must be configured to use it, with all necessary keys appearing on both devices.

Commercial wireless access points can usually be configured not to broadcast their SSIDs. I suppose it's unlikely that the 6D has that capability; but if it does, that's something that should be checked.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I see this post is almost 2 years old but no solution. I am having the same issue as davefry04. None of my devices can find the Canon 6D as an access point/ssid name. Also if I try to use the camera to connect to my local wifi (infrastructure mode) then I get the same as davefry04 - the camera simply does not find ANY local wifi connections. Any soultions or ideas would be appreciated !

davespider
Apprentice

I'm having the same problems....and cannot figure out a solution.

Any new suggestions?

@davespider wrote:

I'm having the same problems....and cannot figure out a solution.

Any new suggestions?

I have no idea what the earlier people were complaining about.  I do not see those menu choices[access point, etc.] in my 6D. 

What I do see are 6 choices, and if I select the icon on the top right [EOS Utility Remote Control], then search, and then the camera will display all local access points within range of its' Wi-Fi, just like my laptop would.

I don't think many people understand what the wireless system actually does.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AndyShust
Apprentice

I think I have the solution to your problem (at least one of the possible ones).

I noticed the same issue with my camera recently — SSID created (in other words, WiFi signal emitted) by my camera didn't show up anywhere on any devices (two different phones, Android one and an iPhone, as well as a WiFi adapter connected to my desktop PC). The camera also didn't detect any signals from nearby WiFi sources (just displayed 'Searching...').

In my case it was a hardware problem.

A short prehistory to my solution. I'm sort of a tech geek when it comes to DSLRs, and tend to teardown (disassemble) my gear once the warranty term has run out and when there's some trouble with it. So in this particular case the problem appeared to have been caused by the flex cable from the in-camera WiFi module not being properly re-inserted during reassembly. Simply speaking, I didn't put it firmly enough back in place on the mainboard when reassembling the camera after some sort of cleaning inside.

So now I disassembled the camera again, got right to the Wi-Fi module to check it and its close surroundings for any visible damage (had a wet shootout recently), detected nothing suspicious, and then during reassembly I simply put the flex cable more firmly in place. It's very subtle to see or to show, but just half a millimeter plays a huge role in this case. And it's somewhat difficult to insert it back, since you have to apply force to such a tiny detail. Anyway, problem was solved for me this way.

The only thing which bothers me now is that the camera self-diagnostic system didn't report any trouble with the WiFi module, which obviously wasn't functioning normally.

In your case it might not be the same cause. If you had your camera repaired and/or disassembled recently, the chance you have the same trouble is pretty high.

Sorry for the mistakes and/or for the 'long read'. See the attached image.

20170318_141838.jpg

minhthuanhubt
Apprentice
 I HAVE FOUND THE CAUSE AND SOLVED IT EFFECTIVELY ! (From Vietnam HỒ CHÍ MINH ) 

1. Open the browser on your computer or phone and log in to your network IP address:
> For example: 192.168.1.1 
> Then log in as admin 
2. Select the wireless setup tab> 2.4 Radio> Basic> Enable 2.4 Radio
3. Select channel  : You can chose from 1 to 13 
4. Set max client number : 10 
5. Apply 
6. Restarts you Canon 6D then try reconnect to wifi 
_____
Good luck bro ! 
Reply me if you success 
Zalo_ScreenShot_13_10_2019_106160.png
Announcements