cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D SHUTTER PROBLEM.

mrcrushiaal
Contributor

my 6d wont go into video mode, the mirror wont go up, the lcd screen doesnt work either, nor the buttons on the back of the lcd like info etc. but the wheel changes the shutter speed etc. when i upgraded the firmware. the lcd screen comes on. The camera fires great in automode (hdr) but when i switch to manual mode the mirror sticks then goes down. when i plug it to eos utilty, it doesnt show the fstop nor the aperture and live view mode wont work as the mirror wont go up. please help 

14 REPLIES 14

@mrcrushiaal wrote:

my 6d wont go into video mode, the shutter wont go up, the lcd screen doesnt work either, nor the buttons on the back of the lcd like info etc. but the wheel changes the shutter speed etc. when i upgraded the firmware. the lcd screen comes on. The shutter fires great in automode (hdr) but when i switch to manual mode the shutter sticks then goes down. when i plug it to eos utilty, it doesnt show the fstop nor the aperture and live view mode wont work as the shutt wont go up. please help 

At first glance it appears to me that you may be confusing the shutter and the mirror. If you want us to be able to help you, I think you need to rephrase your problem in terms of the observable symptoms, rather than your opinion of what components are not functioning correctly.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

just did

Reset the camera back to factory defaults.  If it can take a picture in "Auto" mode, then the hardware is most likely fine.  It sounds like your camera could be in Mirror Lockup mode, BTW.  I have never tried to shoot video in that mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

the lcd doesnt come on so i cant reset the camera. not sure if its a shutter problem. lcd only comes on if i change firmware via eos utlity.

Here is a link to your camera's instruction manual.

Canon EOS 6D User Manual

I would suggest that your read the full manual.

While it might be a hardware problem, based on everything you've said it sounds like a user issue.

What happens when the camera is in Green Square Mode?

it have had my 6d since 2013 and i normally shoot in maunal. it fires fine in green square mode. but nothing shows on the lcd.

once i put it in manual and press the shutter button. the mirror goes up once and then when i press again it goes back down.

when i turn the button for live view mode the mirror does not go up, it does nothing. 

diverhank
Authority

I hate to make such a condescending guess but it sounds like you're trying to do all of this with the lens cap on.  Try removing it first :).  If the lens cap is removed...I don't really know what's going on.

You mentioned that the green square mode fires just fine in HDR. What do you mean by that? I assume you still have the LCD problem, correct?  So no LCD display what so ever?  You mentioned so many conflicting info...like no LCD display but the wheel changes the shutter speed? What about plug in EOS utility...what's that about?  Are you saying you have the HDMI plugged in?  If you do, the LCD display is cut out by design.

When describing problems, you must keep in mind that we the readers need to form a mental picture of what you're trying to say. I know it's difficult to describe something so obvious to you but remember we can't see what you're seeing.  Maybe a few cell phone pictures will help tremendously.

Whatever it is, it's not the shutter problem if you can use it in Auto mode.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ok i undestand. it feels like a software problem, the thing is i cant see any of the menu because the lcd doesnt come on. the screen only comes on when i upgrade or downgrade the firmware via eos utilty  when its connected via usb.

when connected to eos utltiy these are the problems i see listed below

• camera wont go into live view

• f stop and shutterspeed and aperture doesnt show either.

CAMERA NOT CONNECTED TO EOS UTILTY

• shutter fires in green square mode with no image on the lcd as the lcd does not show any image or menus

• when put in Manual mode and shutter button is pressed mirror goes up sluggishly and when shutter button is pressed again it   goes back down.

What do you see on the small LCD screen on the top panel?  Describe all of the modes where the camera can take a picture.  It still sounds like the camera could be in mirror lockup mode.  Also, check the position of the Live View/ Movie Mode switch.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements