cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mk II focus point illumination question

jwight01
Apprentice

Hi,

New to the forum, just bought a new 6D Mk II to go with a 5D Mk II.  Getting used to the 6D, I've noticed the autofocus point(s) sometimes display in black and other times in red.  The only difference I can tell is the brightness level in the scene - if there is "adequate" light the points will show as black, but in low light scenes they will show as red.  Is that actually what determines the display color?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jwight01 wrote:

Hi,

New to the forum, just bought a new 6D Mk II to go with a 5D Mk II.  Getting used to the 6D, I've noticed the autofocus point(s) sometimes display in black and other times in red.  The only difference I can tell is the brightness level in the scene - if there is "adequate" light the points will show as black, but in low light scenes they will show as red.  Is that actually what determines the display color?  Thanks!

Yes, that is the default behavior for the AF points.  

Have you downloaded the FULL instruction manual from Canon Support?  If not, then I strongly recommend that you do.  The AF system in the 6D2 is quite sophisticated.  AF point illumination is just one setting.  You can also set it up so that the AF points are always black, which conserves minute amounts of power, always lit up in red when active, or no AF point display at all.

The AF system has a number of settings that can dramatically alter how the AF Tracking system behaves in AI Servo mode..  There will be a learning curve.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jwight01 wrote:

Hi,

Yes, that is the default behavior for the AF points.  

Have you downloaded the FULL instruction manual from Canon Support?  If not, then I strongly recommend that you do.  The AF system in the 6D2 is quite sophisticated.  AF point illumination is just one setting.  You can also set it up so that the AF points are always black, which conserves minute amounts of power, always lit up in red when active, or no AF point display at all.

The AF system has a number of settings that can dramatically alter how the AF Tracking system behaves in AI Servo mode..  There will be a learning curve.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the info, still working through the manual....Smiley Happy

Announcements