Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

EOS 6D Mk II anomalous behavior

I planned some photos in the blue hour photographing the moon near a windmill, planning it right down to what I wanted the photo to look like, where I was going to stand, what settings I wanted to start out with, etc, and when I wanted to take it; mode, exposure compensation, metering, etc.

When I triggered the shot, I got a >20 second time exposure despite having the shutter speed set at 1/125th of asecond.  I rechecked all my settings, repeated the shot and got the same results.  I've used the option to erase all settings:  got the same result.  Again, I reset all camera settings; reloaded my shutter, aperture, ISO, exposure compensation settings, retried the photo in Manual and Aperture-priority: same results.

I've gone so far as to look at every yellow, green, and orange menu, checking each option — but still get the 20+ second exposure; I've tried various lenses; different focus, white balance, metering, exposure compensation settings but can't eliminate the malfunction.

I've called Canon, retraced my steps, and haven't found a solution.

Ideas?

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II.
VIP

Re: EOS 6D Mk II anomalous behavior

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

When I triggered the shot, I got a >20 second time exposure despite having the shutter speed set at 1/125th of a second.  I rechecked all my settings, repeated the shot and got the same results.  I've used the option to erase all settings:  got the same result.  Again, I reset all camera settings; reloaded my shutter, aperture, ISO, exposure compensation settings, retried the photo in Manual and Aperture-priority: same results.

I've called Canon, retraced my steps, and haven't found a solution.

Ideas?

My first thought?  Operator error.  Your incomplete descriptions just simply do not add up.  You cannot set a shutter speed in Av mode.  Have you ever heard of Safety Shift?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

" I've used the option to erase all settings:"

Did you also "clear all custom settings"?  If you didn't do that, you didn't totally reset the camera.

"...retried the photo in Manual and Aperture-priority:"

At other times does your M mode work as it should.  I.E. if you do a normal shot in daylight and you set a pretty normal 1/125 SS, does it work? Like pointed out above, you can not set a SS in Av mode so I, too, suspect operator error.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Frequent Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

My first thought?  Operator error.  Your incomplete descriptions just simply do not add up.  You cannot set a shutter speed in Av mode.  Have you ever heard of Safety Shift?

I believe that I stated I retried the photo in manual and Aperture-priority. Perhaps the better explanation would be that I retried taking the photo first in Manual mode THEN Aperture-priority.

My mentor also has the EOS 6D Mk II: we sat down the next morning and looked at every menu feature to see if he could replicate the problem using his camera: the effort was unsuccessful.  I haven't yet attained the level where everything I do is perfect, but I'm ecstatic to learn that I don't have the skills to troubleshoot a problem.  Thank you.

Chris P. Bacon
Frequent Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I've used the option to erase all settings:"

Did you also "clear all custom settings"?  If you didn't do that, you didn't totally reset the camera.

"...retried the photo in Manual and Aperture-priority:"

At other times does your M mode work as it should.  I.E. if you do a normal shot in daylight and you set a pretty normal 1/125 SS, does it work? Like pointed out above, you can not set a SS in Av mode so I, too, suspect operator error.

Yes, I did twice — as did my mentor after my second reset...  We checked every switch, each menu's features/options.  We both went through the menus on both cameras to check for discrepancies or anomalies between the two.  We sat down with a menu tree I developed to learn the camera (a holdover from working for Boeing).

Canon grilled me on the phone and our efforts to find the anomaly or operator error were unsuccessful.

Chris P. Bacon
VIP

"When I triggered the shot, I got a >20 second time exposure despite having the shutter speed set at 1/125th of asecond."

Triggered?  As in remote trigger?  I assume that you also tested without a remote trigger if you were using one.  

Make sure that the shooting mode dial is working properly.  I assume that it is good, but the behavior you describe is consistent with it being off by one click.  What happens if you take a regular photo in P mode?

Did this camera body ever work properly?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
VIP

"Canon grilled me on the phone and our efforts to find the anomaly or operator error were unsuccessful."

This doesn't sound promising does it?  Smiley Sad

Reaching now, do you or did you have any non-Canon items connected o the camera? Battery grip? Batteries? Anything? Any thing at all even like a computer monitor? 

The camera was all Canon?

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!