cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 650 trouble with autofocus

ChippedBeak
Apprentice

Hello, I love playing with old film cameras so I recently bought a Canon EOS 650. It works really well except that it won't switch to autofocus mode. And I don't mean that it won't autofocus, I mean it won't even go into that mode. When I press the AF/MF button and turn the selector, nothing changes. Is there anything I can do or is it just broken?

3 REPLIES 3

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

"When I press the AF/MF button and turn the selector, nothing changes." 

I don't really understand what you are saying. The EOS 650 doesn't have an AF/MF button to press, or a selector that you can turn.  The lens has a sliding switch for AF/MF selection and a Manual focus ring you can turn. If it is a zoom lens, it will also have a zoom ring you can turn to zoom in or out.

Usually the AF/MF sliding switch is quite stiff, and it may be difficult to move. With many consumer grade lenses, in AF mode the focus ring is disconnected, and the ring will just turn freely and not do anything.  Auto focus is activated by "half-pressing" the shutter button just before you fully press the shutter button to take the photo.

If you slide the AF/MF to the Manual focus position it will engage the Manual focus ring and turning the ring will change the focus manually. 

Which lens do you have mounted to your EOS 650? Please clarify what you mean by "press the AF/MF button" and " turn the selector". 

Mike Sowsun

"Which lens do you have mounted to your EOS 650?"

This is a key part of info we need. Its been years and years since I even saw a 650 let alone used one.  But it may be possible to mount an ef-s lens to it.  DId you happen to do that? If you can and you did don't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@mygroundbizaccount wrote:

"When I press the AF/MF button and turn the selector, nothing changes." 

I don't really understand what you are saying. The EOS 650 doesn't have an AF/MF button to press, or a selector that you can turn.  The lens has a sliding switch for AF/MF selection and a Manual focus ring you can turn. If it is a zoom lens, it will also have a zoom ring you can turn to zoom in or out.

Usually the AF/MF sliding switch is quite stiff, and it may be difficult to move. With many consumer grade lenses, in AF mode the focus ring is disconnected, and the ring will just turn freely and not do anything.  Auto focus is activated by "half-pressing" the shutter button just before you fully press the shutter button to take the photo.

If you slide the AF/MF to the Manual focus position it will engage the Manual focus ring and turning the ring will change the focus manually. 

Which lens do you have mounted to your EOS 650? Please clarify what you mean by "press the AF/MF button" and " turn the selector". 

Thank you for the explanation. It is clear for me.

Announcements