cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 60D focusing issues

Audioguy2997
Contributor

My 60D indicates that the picture is in focus, all the squares light up red ,the camera beeps & the shutter takes the picture, but when I look at the picture it is not in Focus, this happens in both manual and autofocus modes, this happens on all my lenses it doesn't matter which one i use. it's not completely out of focus, its just that the focus is not crisp. it also doesn't matter under what lighting conditions im shooting in, it could be daylight, tungsten , led 

16 REPLIES 16

"I suspect he is shooting a chart (how else could all the leds light) and pixelpeeping at 200% and then  mistaking softness for out of focus."

We need to know this and some other things, too. What is the subject?  What lenses are you using?  The camera settings? AFMA is not a first option.  It is a conclusion.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It doesn't matter how close I am to the subject, or what the focal length of my Lens is

What lens(s) exactly?

EB

I put it on a focusing chart, using a variety of lenses at various focal lengths & distances from the chart, at no point was there crisp Focus, the camera store contacting canon they think it might be a sensor issue and one $300 a fix-it I figure it is it worth the money

A visit with Canon support is probably the best place.  Let us know what the problme is.

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It's difficult to say why you're having focusing issues without more detail and sample photos (complete with all meta-data).

Whenever I "test" equipment for focus, I take steps to eliminate human error.  

This means I use a focus test chart (you can buy commericial charts, but you can download free ones from the internet).  The test chart is fixed and the camera should be on a tripod to guarantee it isn't moving.  Make sure you use a fast-enough shutter speed (or the self timer or a remote release if using a slower shutter speed) so that blur caused by camera movement isn't confused with blur from poor focus.

Does it have to be a test chart?  It could be something such a sheet of newsprint hanging on a flat wall... or a flat surface with good texture (such as a brick wall).  Focus charts typically have a flat surface (the target) and a scale which rests on an angle leaning away from the camera so that you can inspect the scale to determine if focus is best at the position of the target ... or if focus is better a little farther or a little closer.  With a brick wall, you can't tell if your camera front-focused or back-focused.

Make sure the camera is in "One Shot" AF mode. 

I suggest you put the camera in "Program" mode and pick the center focus point to start with (you can also test other points).

Also... switch to live-view and take a few shots that way.  Live view uses a completely different focus mode.  If there were a problem with the phase-detect sensors in the camera, this would help identify such an issue (because live-view mode doesn't use the phase-detect sensors.)

Without sample shots and a lot more info, we're basically guessing at what the problem might be.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote: (because live-view mode doesn't use the phase-detect sensors.)

Or at least a different set of Phase Detect Sensors for newer Dual Pixel Sensors.

Announcements