cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 60D. When I press the shutter release it may take a second or two before it activates

mmh909
Apprentice

I have an EOS 60D.  When I press the shutter release it may take a second or two before it activates or it may activate instantly.  In the past it has activated instantly every time.  In all cases the camera has previously been focused.  This is a new development after having the camera for a couple of years.  What’s going on ?  

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
There is a 2-second delay timer mode. I suspect you've activated it.

When shooting on a tripod, you'd want to make sure the camera is still when it takes the shot. That's why they invited the remote shutter release. But if you don't have such a device, you can enable the 2-second delay mode. This allows you to push the shutter button (which will cause some ovement unless you have a REALLY SOLID tripod) and the camera wants 2 seconds for vibrations to settle before the camera takes the shot.

Go into the drive mode menu and you'll see options such as single shot, continuous burst, 2 second delay, 10 second delay, etc. Just return it back to the single-shot mode (that's the factory default and probably what you want.)
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:
There is a 2-second delay timer mode. I suspect you've activated it.

When shooting on a tripod, you'd want to make sure the camera is still when it takes the shot. That's why they invited the remote shutter release. But if you don't have such a device, you can enable the 2-second delay mode. This allows you to push the shutter button (which will cause some ovement unless you have a REALLY SOLID tripod) and the camera wants 2 seconds for vibrations to settle before the camera takes the shot.

Go into the drive mode menu and you'll see options such as single shot, continuous burst, 2 second delay, 10 second delay, etc. Just return it back to the single-shot mode (that's the factory default and probably what you want.)

Thanks for the response.  I checked the 2 second delay.  It's not in that mode.

As I noted it sometimes takes a second or two but at other times it is instant.  It varied quite a bit from instant to about 5 seconds.   It seems like an eternity when trying to capture a specific moment.

I tried reformating the memory card thinking it might be fragmented.  It appeared to improve things significantly but I still notice some hesitation occasionally. 

Thanks again for your response

Another possibility is focus.

When the camera is in it's default "One Shot" mode it uses something called "focus priority".  When focus priority is active it means the camera will NOT take a photo until it can confirm that it has locked focus on at least one AF point.

You could test this by just switching the lens to manual focus mode (set the AF/MF switch to the MF position).  That should cause the camera to take the shot instantly -- every time -- provided you haven't enabled a delay timer.

You can change modes by ensuring the lens is attached and in the "AF" position (autofocus is enabled).  Then press the AF button on the top of the camera and use the menu to select "One Shot", "AI Focus", or "AI Servo".  

The two real modes are "One Shot" and "AI Servo".  

"One Shot" causes the camera to focus until it locks focus... and then the focus system switches off while it waits for you to fully press the shutter and take the shot.  It's intended for situations where you are photographing non-moving subjects.  If you fully push the shutter immediately (without half-pressing to let the camera focus first) then you'll have a delay while the camera focuses.

"AI Servo" is used for situations where the subject distance is constantly changing.  But this mode uses something called "Release Priority" which means the camera WILL take the photo as soon as you fully press the shutter button and will do this whether focus was locked or not.  The camera begins focusing when you half-press the shutter... and it never stops checking focus. 

The camera will take longer to focus depending on which lens you use, the amount of available light on the subject, and how much contrasty detail the subject has (the camera will struggle to lock focus on subjects which lack contrast -- such as pointing it up to a plain blue sky -- even if it's bright.)  

Camera lenses keep their aperture blades fully retracted while you frame and focus the shot.  The blades only stop down in the fraction of a second before the shutter opens.  But if you have a variable focal ratio lens (e.g. an f/3.5-5.6 for example) and it's at the f/5.6 end, and lighting is poor, etc. then you make the camera work a bit harder to focus.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements