cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5d3 dual card

Annielouisie
Apprentice

How do I shoot RAW on card 1 and Jpeg on card 2?

3 REPLIES 3

7D5D
Rising Star
Its easiest for me to refer you to the User Guide. Page 116 thru 120 covers recording options.

Have read p116-120 of manual. Is the following correct? If on 'standard' then can record on either card one or card two, but have to have the same image quality? I am going overseas in one day and want to shoot raw on card one only and Jpeg on card two only. So then I can choose before I shoot either card one or card two depending if I need RAW or jpeg.

Part 1 - set recording option

1.  Go to the Set-up (yellow)  menu 1

2.  Select "Record func + card/folder sel"

3.  Select "Record func"  (it will probably say "Record func.     Standard")

4.  Scroll to 3rd option "Rec. Separately"

5.  Press select, then Menu twice

Part 2 - set recording type and quality

1. Press the Q button on the back of the camera

2. Scroll to the lower right (using joystick) and select the file type listed for card 1.  Press the set button

3. Choose the file type by using the main control dial.  Press set to select

4.  Scroll down and select the file type for card 2.  Press the set button

5.  Again, use the main control dial to select the desired file type then press the set button

Now when you display your settings on the rear LCD (press the info button), you should see both cards listed with the desired file type next to it.

Example

Card 1 = RAW

Card 2 = icon for Large JPG

Note:  you can do either part through the menus or either part through the rear screen.  Also if you choose to use both cards for RAW (so you have a back of each picture as you take them), make sure both cards are HQ with fast write speeds.  I use Sandisk Extreme Pro in both of my slots.

EDIT:

Just reread your post.  If you want to pick and choose either RAW or Jpg as you take photos, then the procedure above will not do exactly that.  The procedure above will always record  a RAW copy plus a Jpg copy.  Personally that is what I would do, then when you get home you can pick which copy you want to keep.

If you want to pick and choose the file type just before you take a photo, change the recording option to use card 1 first then switch to card 2 when card 1 is full:

Part 1 - set recording option

1.  Go to the Set-up (yellow)  menu 1

2.  Select "Record func + card/folder sel"

3.  Select "Record func"  (it will probably say "Record func.     Standard")

4.  Scroll to 2nd option "Auto switch card"

5.  Press select, then Menu twice

Prior to taking a photo...

1. Press the Q button on the back of the camera

2. Scroll to the lower right (using joystick) and select the file type listed (both cards now show the same)

3. Choose the file type by using the main control dial.  Press set to select

4.  Take the photo

For this setting your rear LCD will list the same file type for both cards.

Example

Card 1 = RAW

Card 2 =RAW

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements