cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D4 AF Servo focus point display

Bensflare
Contributor
Hello
When I’m in single-shot mode I see a tiny red-outlined square thru my viewfinder corresponding to my selected focus point. This I like. However, when I shoot in AF Servo mode I don’t see that square. Is there a way to enable that? I would like to see that the focus is staying on my target as he/she is running in a race (that’s primarily when I used AF servo). Any help appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

AI Focus is sort of like AI Servo, and it will give you the red square just like One Shot AF. 

Mike Sowsun

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Go to the AF tab section in the camera menu and then choose VF display illumination and there you will find the option to turn on AF point illumination during AI servo mode.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Go to the AF tab section in the camera menu and then choose VF display illumination and there you will find the option to turn on AF point illumination during AI servo mode.

Rodger

This is described on the very next page in the manual.  

9AD68684-866D-424C-9B9F-AC495A1BBF38.jpeg

Select [AUTO] and [OFF] for these settings.  I find turning it {ON] to be distracting.  Try it for yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bensflare
Contributor
Thanks so much for your quick reply! I haven’t tried AI Focus because I had heard that mode is not reliable. However, seeing your response I’ll try it.

@Bensflare wrote:
Thanks so much for your quick reply! I haven’t tried AI Focus because I had heard that mode is not reliable. However, seeing your response I’ll try it.

Rodger's correct response doesn't change the fact the you really shouldn't use AI Focus. It isn't a separate mode, per se. It just switches between One Shot and AI Servo based on sensed camera movement; and it doesn't always do it properly (in my experience).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Bensflare wrote:
Hello
When I’m in single-shot mode I see a tiny red-outlined square thru my viewfinder corresponding to my selected focus point. This I like. However, when I shoot in AF Servo mode I don’t see that square. Is there a way to enable that? I would like to see that the focus is staying on my target as he/she is running in a race (that’s primarily when I used AF servo). Any help appreciated.

I believe if you reset the camera to factory defaults, then you will see this type of display in AI Servo mode.  All AF points will be enabled, though, which is okay.  The camera should always begin tracking with the center AF point.

You want the top choice in this menu, which should be the factory default setting.

9C6F0C33-7F99-4612-96E8-63D694953E31.jpeg

How AF points are displayed depends, of course, on which AF points you have enabled.  For example, you will NOT see a tracking display if you have only 1 AF point enabled.

Bensflare
Contributor
@Waddizzle Thanks for that info. Which menu are you referring to?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
@Bensflate
The screenshots show “AF5” at the top of the page, and the page number in the user manual at the bottom.
Announcements