cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mk iv or EOS 6D Mk ii!!

guzzarish
Apprentice

I am looking at these two models and I am seeing marginal gains on the 5D versus the 6D, but I am seeing a sharp increase in price for the 5D. Is there anyone here who had used both and can tell me if the cost justifies the gain with the 5D.

I really need something that preforms well in low light, saves me time in post, and is easier to use in the field; while not being an investment that takes me months to recoup without any gain in productivity.

One of the features that I am drawn to is the dual pixel focus adjustment that allows me to adjust the focus in post on the 5D. Primarily I get work doing personal shoots and porteaits, some events, and personal projects for myself and others.

Based on that can anyone weigh in on what the best choice for me would be? Either one of these is already a big investment for me based on my current modest set-up.

4 REPLIES 4

tmc784
Enthusiast

I have 5D4 a month, an amazing camera in still shots, no regret, their promotion offer still not end yet.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

When you refer to "marginal gains" in the 5D vs 6D ... what sort of gains are you considering to be worthwhile?

A 5D IV has many significant advantages over a 6D II ... but that only matters if you would take advantage of those differences.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

When you refer to "marginal gains" in the 5D vs 6D ... what sort of gains are you considering to be worthwhile?

A 5D IV has many significant advantages over a 6D II ... but that only matters if you would take advantage of those differences.

TCambell,

I fully agree.

@guzzarish, IMO there is nothing marginal about a 5D4, in comparison to a 6D2.  Pro vs. Entry level.  If the 5D4 had an articulating screen, I'd have one. Besides ISO, the 5D4 smokes the 6D2.  Look, I'm not a fan, and you see what camera I purchased.  It wasn't the money.  I came from a APS-C with a articulating screen.  I have been so happy on vacations with the 6D2's screen,  but I freely acknowledge the 5D4 remains king.  Even with the 6D2's in body stablization and higher ISO.  The 5D4 still had slightly better DR.  But in the right hands the 6D2 delivers.     

I'm very interested to hear what "matters" to you.  Since 4K video was not important to me, and an articulating screen was...  I didn't have any problems saving myself almost 2k.  When Canon releases the 4's predecessor with a articulating screen this year...  I'll be very happy. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Based on that can anyone weigh in on what the best choice for me would be?"

Do you want a more pro level FF camera or are you satisfied with a entry level FF. The build and weather sealing on the two is different and it accounts for some of the price difference. Plastic vs magnesium.  They both will produce great shots so that shouldn't be an issue. I would say if you are an everyday user go for the 5D Mk IV. On the other hand if you are an occasional shooter the 6D Mk II will be fantastic.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements