cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D MarkIV won't connect to laptop via USB port

alacey
Apprentice

My laptop won't fully recognize my camera when I plug into the USB port.  The laptop will chime as if a connection has been made but then nothing happens, I can't find my camera in file explorer or when I open the Canon 3 Utility.  The USB transfer cord that came with the camera works because I can connect the camera to my PC.  The USB port on the laptop works because I successfully pulled images off a jump drive.   

I have downloaded the newest EOS Utility and disabled the wifi and power off functions on my camera in attempts to get the laptop to recognize the camera.

I have read various forums but can't find the answer specific to my issue.  I have asked this question of the Microscoft Community and downloaded and revised all the drivers to no avail. The last communication from Microsoft was to reach out to Canon, maybe for a driver?

Please help!  I am so frustrated because I bought this laptop specifically for my camera and photography work.

Details:

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (arrived two weeks ago- brand new) / AMD Ryzen 5 processor / Windows 10 Home edition

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (arrived two months ago - new)

33 REPLIES 33

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@swisselle wrote:

I know it's not the newest thread here but... "USB Hubs are not advised". Uhm... so it is not advised to use a Mac Notebook either then - there are no old usb ports anymore, just usb-c. Does anyone found a solution for Mac users to shoot tethered? Does anyone know if there's an adapter that works to connect the old cable with usb-c-ports? Appreciate any tipp 🙂

Welcome to the forum. 

Need to read the whole paragraph above. 

Yes, you can get a USB-C to USB-A adapter from Amazon. 

John & swisselle, my Dell XPS 17 only has USB C Thunderbolt ports (4), so I bought the Belkin brand USB type C to type A adapters from Amazon. They work well for all of my cameras and other USB type A (2 & 3) devices that I have, like external drives.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I was an early adopter and have the Nonda varient. They are most likely all made in the same plant. Work great. I leave them in my cables and remove if I am plugging into a USB-A device.

I also use a female USB-C to make USB- adapter to connect my 1DX III to my older PC since the 1D cable is USB-C on both ends.

Unlike USB-A hubs, many USB-C hubs are powered because the USB-C ports are power delivery ports.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
I was an early adopter and have the Nonda varient. They are most likely all made in the same plant. Work great. I leave them in my cables and remove if I am plugging into a USB-A device.

I also use a female USB-C to make USB- adapter to connect my 1DX III to my older PC since the 1D cable is USB-C on both ends.

Unlike USB-A hubs, many USB-C hubs are powered because the USB-C ports are power delivery ports.

Thank you @FloridaDrafter  and @jrhoffman75. I tried it with an adapter and it worked like a charm. My notebook bag is full of these little adapters and I somehow forgot about them, because all I need to work at home since 18 month (...) is the usb-hub. 

Gino-Mazzaferro
Contributor

I just had the same problem with a new Asus laptop with an AMD CPU.  EOS utility and Lightroom wouldn't work properly. After emailing Canon support, they let me know there was a firmware update that might help. I updated the camera's firmware to version 1.3.3, and it worked.Now EOS utility allows me to transfer files to the laptop, and use the remote shooting applet. I had to do this update on my other older computer. I then tried tethering to Lightroom. That worked also. So the bottom line for me was to update the firmeware. 

Announcements