cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D MarkIV won't connect to laptop via USB port

alacey
Apprentice

My laptop won't fully recognize my camera when I plug into the USB port.  The laptop will chime as if a connection has been made but then nothing happens, I can't find my camera in file explorer or when I open the Canon 3 Utility.  The USB transfer cord that came with the camera works because I can connect the camera to my PC.  The USB port on the laptop works because I successfully pulled images off a jump drive.   

I have downloaded the newest EOS Utility and disabled the wifi and power off functions on my camera in attempts to get the laptop to recognize the camera.

I have read various forums but can't find the answer specific to my issue.  I have asked this question of the Microscoft Community and downloaded and revised all the drivers to no avail. The last communication from Microsoft was to reach out to Canon, maybe for a driver?

Please help!  I am so frustrated because I bought this laptop specifically for my camera and photography work.

Details:

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (arrived two weeks ago- brand new) / AMD Ryzen 5 processor / Windows 10 Home edition

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (arrived two months ago - new)

33 REPLIES 33

@Waddizzle wrote:

"So after than and finding this issue being reported on multiple forums for over the last year, it really looks like Canon forgot to include AMD processor support on the 5D."

The issue with AMD chipsets is not camera specific.  The problem seems to be embeddd within the software itself.  

I suspect that the EOS Utility software does not seem to follow the managed code model.  The EOS tray icon has its' own startup setting for when a camera is detected.  Instead of letting Windows 10 make the determination, the EOS Utili9ty bypasses the OS.  IN fact, changing the OS startup setting seems to only confuse the EOS Utility, causing cameras to not be detected, or the user GUI Window not to launch.

The users who are reporting this type of issue always seem to have a home brewed PC running an AMD CPU.  Even some commercial laptops, like some of the Acers, that run AMD chipsets have issues, too.  My gut feeling is that the issue is probably with the USB ports used by the AMD chipsets, and not so much the CPU itself.

So just out of curiousity how would this be an issue with the USB ports, when they work fine for everything else? Are you saying that for some reason ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI are all manufacturing faulty USB ports and only on AMD boards that only seems to cause an issue with Canon Cameras? The lowest common denominator seems to be Canon cameras and software. It seems like it would be something in the Canon camera firmware that isn't allowing it to communicate with AMD chipsets. even if I don't use the EOS Utility software, Windows will detect the camera is plugged in, detect that there are memory cards within the camera, but will not recognize that there are any images on the memory cards. But this clears up for some reason when used through a pass through USB like on my BlackWidow Kewboard. 

@iceman2486 wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

"So after than and finding this issue being reported on multiple forums for over the last year, it really looks like Canon forgot to include AMD processor support on the 5D."

The issue with AMD chipsets is not camera specific.  The problem seems to be embeddd within the software itself.  

I suspect that the EOS Utility software does not seem to follow the managed code model.  The EOS tray icon has its' own startup setting for when a camera is detected.  Instead of letting Windows 10 make the determination, the EOS Utili9ty bypasses the OS.  IN fact, changing the OS startup setting seems to only confuse the EOS Utility, causing cameras to not be detected, or the user GUI Window not to launch.

The users who are reporting this type of issue always seem to have a home brewed PC running an AMD CPU.  Even some commercial laptops, like some of the Acers, that run AMD chipsets have issues, too.  My gut feeling is that the issue is probably with the USB ports used by the AMD chipsets, and not so much the CPU itself.

So just out of curiousity how would this be an issue with the USB ports, when they work fine for everything else? Are you saying that for some reason ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI are all manufacturing faulty USB ports and only on AMD boards that only seems to cause an issue with Canon Cameras? The lowest common denominator seems to be Canon cameras and software. It seems like it would be something in the Canon camera firmware that isn't allowing it to communicate with AMD chipsets. even if I don't use the EOS Utility software, Windows will detect the camera is plugged in, detect that there are memory cards within the camera, but will not recognize that there are any images on the memory cards. But this clears up for some reason when used through a pass through USB like on my BlackWidow Kewboard. 

It is a gut feeling.  Your gut instincts might be correct, too.

Do I think there is something wrong with the ports?  No.  I think there is something wrong with how the Canon apps reference and access the ports.  The Canon apps seem to make unmanaged function calls to the hardware, which make the apps hardware dependent and specific.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for weighing in and helping to troubleshoot.  My markiv connects via USB port seamlessly on my PC.  The issue is with new microsoft laptop failing to connect to camera via USB. Windows 10 has never recognized a connection to the camera.

Canon suport offered the following:

"Turn off wifi and check laptop power"

"In a case like this where one computer can recognize the camera and another cannot that indicates the issue is either related to operating system settings or security software settings." 

"Triple check the EOS Utility software."

"One last thing to try getting the computer to give you a permission prompt in the EOS Utility."

"From what you describe it sounds like the USB connection itself may be dropping after it makes the initial pairing. This would be confirmed if you see a computer icon display on your camera's LCD screen when you make the initial connection but see it disappear shortly after. If you see the computer icon on the camera LCD screen and still cannot see the camera's memory card listed in your file explorer then that would indicate Windows is preventing data transfer from the device and this would mean there is some other conflict within Windows."

Jokerindo
Apprentice

This is the same as what I experienced. Can anyone help give an answer?

@jokerindo

@Jokerindo wrote:

From the research I have been doing, it seems this is centered around PC's running an AMD processor. For some reason, either on Canons or AMDs end the USB ports will not recognize the images on the memory card. I have so far tested this on 5 PC's. 3 Intel processors, 2 AMD processors. All 5 have different motherboards, 4 were home built, and all 3 Intel Processors were different, both AMD PCs are using a Ryzen 9 3900x. All 3 of the Intel PCs work fine no issues. Both AMD PCs you cannot directly connect the camera through the USB ports, either front or rear. You can however connect them through a USB keyboard with USB 2.0 passthrough, such as a Razer Blackwidow, in which case it will work fine. It does not work however is you attempt to use a 3.1 USB hub to connect to a USB 3.1 port. There are posts about this issue going back over a year. Canon blames AMD/Motherboard manufactures they blame Canon. Personally I think it is some issue in the Canon firmware that they just don't want to fix, since the USB ports work fine for everything except the Canon camera. Looks like you're best bet for quick downloads is to sheel out for a USB 3.1 Memory Card reader, and just forget that the canon software even exists, since Canon doesn't seem to care about the issue.

Yes. Seems to be an AMD USB driver issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/as8tez/win10_usb_drivers_fail_canon_5d_mark_4_amd/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@iceman2486 wrote:

@Jokerindo wrote:

From the research I have been doing, it seems this is centered around PC's running an AMD processor. For some reason, either on Canons or AMDs end the USB ports will not recognize the images on the memory card. I have so far tested this on 5 PC's. 3 Intel processors, 2 AMD processors. All 5 have different motherboards, 4 were home built, and all 3 Intel Processors were different, both AMD PCs are using a Ryzen 9 3900x. All 3 of the Intel PCs work fine no issues. Both AMD PCs you cannot directly connect the camera through the USB ports, either front or rear. You can however connect them through a USB keyboard with USB 2.0 passthrough, such as a Razer Blackwidow, in which case it will work fine. It does not work however is you attempt to use a 3.1 USB hub to connect to a USB 3.1 port. There are posts about this issue going back over a year. Canon blames AMD/Motherboard manufactures they blame Canon. Personally I think it is some issue in the Canon firmware that they just don't want to fix, since the USB ports work fine for everything except the Canon camera. Looks like you're best bet for quick downloads is to sheel out for a USB 3.1 Memory Card reader, and just forget that the canon software even exists, since Canon doesn't seem to care about the issue.

All PC's with Windows I assume? Seems AMD PC's with Linux have no trouble to detect 5D IV. Both what I have read and my own experience with older cameras like 6D, 7D, M5.

But of course, Canon EOS Utility will not work without a VirtualBox.

Have you tried Safe mode in Windows?

This doesn't help laptop users, but in case anyone is running into this issue on an AMD Ryzen desktop.

I built a Ryzen 3900x PC and couldn't get my 5D Mark IV to work in tethered mode. I had an existing USB 3.0 Expansion Card (ORICO PME-4U) laying around that I installed, and those ports seem to work just fine.

In Device manager, this is what I see for the AMD ports:

"AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)"

For the expansion card it shows up as:

"Fresco Logic USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)"

My educated guess is that the camera doesn't like the AMD drivers for whatever reason. Very strange.

iceman2486
Contributor
From what I've been able to determine it's all Canon Cameras. Canon and AMD don't seem to want to work together to make the software work. Kind of annoying, but I ended up getting a high speed card reader that can transfer the files faster than from the camera anyway.

I have a card reader so that's not the issue, I wanted to tether to my PC for studio shooting.  Guess I'll have to use my intel PC for that, kinda annoyed Canon won't update their software to work with AMD processors.

Announcements