cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D MarkIV won't connect to laptop via USB port

alacey
Apprentice

My laptop won't fully recognize my camera when I plug into the USB port.  The laptop will chime as if a connection has been made but then nothing happens, I can't find my camera in file explorer or when I open the Canon 3 Utility.  The USB transfer cord that came with the camera works because I can connect the camera to my PC.  The USB port on the laptop works because I successfully pulled images off a jump drive.   

I have downloaded the newest EOS Utility and disabled the wifi and power off functions on my camera in attempts to get the laptop to recognize the camera.

I have read various forums but can't find the answer specific to my issue.  I have asked this question of the Microscoft Community and downloaded and revised all the drivers to no avail. The last communication from Microsoft was to reach out to Canon, maybe for a driver?

Please help!  I am so frustrated because I bought this laptop specifically for my camera and photography work.

Details:

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (arrived two weeks ago- brand new) / AMD Ryzen 5 processor / Windows 10 Home edition

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (arrived two months ago - new)

33 REPLIES 33

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@alacey wrote:

My laptop won't fully recognize my camera when I plug into the USB port.  The laptop will chime as if a connection has been made but then nothing happens, I can't find my camera in file explorer or when I open the Canon 3 Utility.  The USB transfer cord that came with the camera works because I can connect the camera to my PC.  The USB port on the laptop works because I successfully pulled images off a jump drive.   

I have downloaded the newest EOS Utility and disabled the wifi and power off functions on my camera in attempts to get the laptop to recognize the camera.

I have read various forums but can't find the answer specific to my issue.  I have asked this question of the Microscoft Community and downloaded and revised all the drivers to no avail. The last communication from Microsoft was to reach out to Canon, maybe for a driver?

Please help!  I am so frustrated because I bought this laptop specifically for my camera and photography work.

Details:

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (arrived two weeks ago- brand new) / AMD Ryzen 5 processor / Windows 10 Home edition

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (arrived two months ago - new)

Your problem is probably the AMD CPU.  Read the "Supporting Documents" on the download page.  There is a section that describes the hardware requirements, and it specifies Intel Core CPUs are required.  I was not aware that there were any of the Microsoft Surface products that did not use an Intel processor.

Also there could be an issue with your USB ports on your surface tablet.  The EOS Utility does not seem to work well with "USB Port Expanders".

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the heads up on processor issue.  I couldn't find the support documents you mentioned on canon, so I googled it and came across this thread about 5dmkIV and AMD processors:

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-5div-losing-connection-to-usb-amd-ryzen-cpu...

Many people have suggested getting a card reader to bypass the problem, but I had hoped to solve the problem.  Guess it is time to buy a card reader.

@alacey wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on processor issue.  I couldn't find the support documents you mentioned on canon, so I googled it and came across this thread about 5dmkIV and AMD processors:

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-5div-losing-connection-to-usb-amd-ryzen-cpu...

Many people have suggested getting a card reader to bypass the problem, but I had hoped to solve the problem.  Guess it is time to buy a card reader.

The supporting documents might be easy to overlook on the download page.

EC890607-E756-4846-A8D2-7903E08CC697.jpeg

Well **bleep**, been trying to figure this out for about the last 8 hours. This is really annoying. Although if you really want to work around this EOS Utility will work with an AMD processor if you set the camera to connect via wifi, although that seemed like it was pretty slow, was taking over a minute per image to download. Guess I need to find a 3.2 card reader.

@iceman2486 wrote:

Well **bleep**, been trying to figure this out for about the last 8 hours. This is really annoying. Although if you really want to work around this EOS Utility will work with an AMD processor if you set the camera to connect via wifi, although that seemed like it was pretty slow, was taking over a minute per image to download. Guess I need to find a 3.2 card reader.

Wi-Fi works because it takes the hardware out of the equation.  USB port expanders are a bad thing, too.

Thank you for this thread, I just did a new AMD 5900x build and my 5D MarkIV won't connect to it.  My old build which have an intel processor is able to tether / read the camera just fine when directly connected to it.  I'm just wondering, is this only a 5D MarkIV issue?  or is any other EOS cameras having a connection issue with AMD processors?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would not suspect the AMD processor as the first cause.  Maybe it is but I doubt it.  The best thing to do when you have a situation like this is to see if you can connect to another computer.  If it does you know it is something in your computer but if it doesn't you know your computer is probably OK.

I would suspect the cable or the ports first.  You do turn off wi-fi when you try?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I would not suspect the AMD processor as the first cause.  Maybe it is but I doubt it.  The best thing to do when you have a situation like this is to see if you can connect to another computer.  If it does you know it is something in your computer but if it doesn't you know your computer is probably OK.

I would suspect the cable or the ports first.  You do turn off wi-fi when you try?

Well cannot speak for the OP, but my 5D MK IV worked fine on my previous desktop (intel processor), still works fine on my laptop (intel processor). All of the USB ports both front and rear can recognize the memory card while inserted into a memory card reader with no issues, all of the USB ports can recognize a myriad of other items from my Samsung Galaxy S20 to my seagate external 5gb harddrive, which uses the same micro USB-B cable ( the one it came with was short so generally use the one from my 5D MK IV for this as well). 

So as to your suspecting the cable or the ports, testing has ruled out the cable being bad (works with other devices fine, and works with the 5DMKIV on different computers), testing has ruled out any glaring overarching issues with the USB ports in general (they work fine with anything not Canon 5D MK IV, and work with the memory cards from the 5D MK IV via card reader, would like to try another model of Canon camera, but don't have one available). And I keep the wifi off by default to save battery, only turned the wifi on to see if it would connect to try and see if that would narrow down the problem.

Further if I plug the 5D MK IV in through my keyboards USB passthrough everything works as normal, except for the slow downloads compared to 3.1. I do have a USB PCIe card that I may install into one of the slots in the computer and see if that makes a difference later.

So after than and finding this issue being reported on multiple forums for over the last year, it really looks like Canon forgot to include AMD processor support on the 5D.

"So after than and finding this issue being reported on multiple forums for over the last year, it really looks like Canon forgot to include AMD processor support on the 5D."

The issue with AMD chipsets is not camera specific.  The problem seems to be embeddd within the software itself.  

I suspect that the EOS Utility software does not seem to follow the managed code model.  The EOS tray icon has its' own startup setting for when a camera is detected.  Instead of letting Windows 10 make the determination, the EOS Utili9ty bypasses the OS.  IN fact, changing the OS startup setting seems to only confuse the EOS Utility, causing cameras to not be detected, or the user GUI Window not to launch.

The users who are reporting this type of issue always seem to have a home brewed PC running an AMD CPU.  Even some commercial laptops, like some of the Acers, that run AMD chipsets have issues, too.  My gut feeling is that the issue is probably with the USB ports used by the AMD chipsets, and not so much the CPU itself.

Announcements