cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Shutter Count

Carlosalves
Contributor

I would like to know if there is already an app that sees the number of clicks of my Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. thank you

24 REPLIES 24

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Eosmsg.com is not an app but it is a program that runs on a PC with Windows. It costs about $5.00 USD

I have used it for my 80D. Here is a list of supported Cameras: 

eosmsg.jpg 

Mike Sowsun

This app worked on one of my 5D MK4s, but when I connected my second 5D, it asked for the $5.00 again. Looks like it is tied to a single serial number and will cost $5 for each camera.

tmc784
Enthusiast

If your camera  was bought as brand new from a trustworthy store , why need to worry about the shutter count ?

@tmc784 wrote:

If your camera  was bought as brand new from a trustworthy store , why need to worry about the shutter count ?

This ocasionally comes up when a body is for sale.  While its not hugely significant, some buyers want to know. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@tmc784 wrote:

This ocasionally comes up when a body is for sale.  While its not hugely significant, some buyers want to know. 

The shutter count alone is very misleading.  People want to compare the shutter count statistic to mileage on a car, which is totally wrong.    Shutter count is more similar to how many times you started the car.  

Mileage on a car is similar to hours of operation on a video camera, which tells you the total time that the image sensor has been active collecting data.  Without knowing how many hours of operation are on the sensor, which is probably more expensive to replace than a shutter, anyway, the shutter count is really not very useful. 

Shutter count could be useful, but that figure alone does not tell the whole story about the life and history of the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Carlosalves
Contributor
The camera in question is used !!! Of course if the camera was used for the video the number of clicks does not matter much ... but knowing gives me a notion !!!

@Carlosalves wrote:
The camera in question is used !!! Of course if the camera was used for the video the number of clicks does not matter much ... but knowing gives me a notion !!!

I understand.  This question pops up a lot.

We frequently see posts in the forums about how this, that, or the other software app works accurately, and then we hear that it does not work on every camera that it claims to be compatible with.  This problem is most acute with the newer models that were released after the application may have been released.  You may get incorrect readings, and not know it

The most reliable way to get an accurate count is from Canon.  Ask for a shutter count when you send the camera to Canon for a cleaning and check out.  You will get a bill of health from Canon on the condition of the camera, including a factory report on shutter count.  

In addition to shutter count and image sensor hours, I would be interested in mirror activations and its’ total usage time.  These are the true tell tales about a camera body.  Like I said, shutter count alone can be misleading.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Carlosalves
Contributor
I agree with you!!! I'll get in touch with an authorized and see the cost. Thank you for the tip. Stay in peace.

Carlosalves
Contributor
Mike, I'm a little doubtful. By paying this $ 5 you can do how many consultations?
Announcements