cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Black Border

Fritz44
Apprentice

Recently purchased an EOS 5D Mark IV.  I've only taken a few photos in AV in different Fstop and ISO settings with it using a Canon 50mm 1:1.2  EF lens and a Sigma 18-300mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Lens.  All photos have a black border all around.  This didn't happen when I was using my EOS 80D with the same lenses until I just had to send it in for repairs.  I assume my issued is that the 5D is a full frame and the 80D was cropped.  What settings do I used to get full framed photos with the 5D? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Fritz44 wrote:

Recently purchased an EOS 5D Mark IV.  I've only taken a few photos in AV in different Fstop and ISO settings with it using a Canon 50mm 1:1.2  EF lens and a Sigma 18-300mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Lens.  All photos have a black border all around.  This didn't happen when I was using my EOS 80D with the same lenses until I just had to send it in for repairs.  I assume my issued is that the 5D is a full frame and the 80D was cropped.  What settings do I used to get full framed photos with the 5D? 

Switch the camera to M mode on the top side shooting dial.  Go into the menus and look for the option to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  

Do not use the Sigma "DC" lens, as that lens is made for crop sensor camera bodies.  You should see vignetting around th edges.  I cannot explain why you would see a "black border" all around the image when you use the Canon 50mm, except if you're shooting in a JPEG mode with reduced resolution, which significantly reduces file size.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

How many pixels is the border? What software are you using to view the images?

Do you see it when previewing on the camera?

Some RAW files have a border like this, I think because there is actually an extra ring of pixels in the RAW data.

I see it when previewing on the camera and in Digital Photo Professional 4. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Fritz44 wrote:

Switch the camera to M mode on the top side shooting dial.  Go into the menus and look for the option to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  

Do not use the Sigma "DC" lens, as that lens is made for crop sensor camera bodies.  You should see vignetting around th edges.  I cannot explain why you would see a "black border" all around the image when you use the Canon 50mm, except if you're shooting in a JPEG mode with reduced resolution, which significantly reduces file size.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the advice.  I reset to full RAW and received a full frame photo using the Canon 50mm EF.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements