cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III or Canon 6D

Antonrides
Contributor

Hi

I'm planning on upgrading to a full frame from my T3i. Most of my photography is outdoor wildlife and landscapes. Usually involves hiking to get there. I was thinking the 6d cause of it's size but I'm reading alot about autofocus not so good. The 5D sounds good but it's biggest con is it's size that could be a problem when hiking.

Any thoughts or suggestion?

Thanks

11 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

twagn
Contributor

If you can afford the 5D3 then get it. It has a much better AF system and fast frame rate for moving wildlife. The Biggest con with the 5D3 compared to the 6D is it's price. The 5D3 is a vastly superior camera

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Boy did this hit the nail on it's head?  "The 5D3 is a vastly superior camera" Smiley Happy

The 6D is Canon's version of an entry level Full Frame body. A FF version of your T3i, if you will.  Although the 6D is a more robust camera and other features that come will it being a later design.

The EOS 5D Mk III is a nearly full on professional camera.

Do you need or require that level of equipment?  If price is not the driving factor get the 5D Mk III you will never regret it.

There is only one better camera in the Canon line, the 1Dx which is around seven grand and arguably the best camera you can buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you. Kind of the way I'm leaning

chrisschrimsher
Contributor
FWIW, I have the 6D and love it but the AF is my biggest complaint. I do children's' photography a lot, which some would argue isn't that different from wildlife 😉 and the AF is quite often a limiting factor.

Curious about the child photography,  what lens and aperature are combining with the 6D to bother you?

@Helawli, my comments were intended for poster above. I can see why you bristle at the suggestion that the APS-C format isn't worthy... it wasn't meant to be a statement about all APS-C format cameras just those made by Canon going up through the 70D. My bad.

@cale_kat wrote:

Curious about the child photography,  what lens and aperature are combining with the 6D to bother you?

Mainly the 70-200mm F/2.8L USM IS II. Sometimes the 24-70mm F/2.8L USM II if working up close. I try not to go less than F/4 to get a workable DOF but sometimes have to go 2.8 since I do a lot with available light.  When I review the images, the focal point can be right on the eyes for successive images but one or more will be slightly out of focus. I've used LensAlign and the lenses seem to be accurately calibrated so I just wrote it off to the less sophisticated AF system not being 100% accurate in a "running and gunning" scenario.

@chrisschrimsher, I guess it comes down to priorities. I understand that you prefer natural light but it isn't as though child photography was invented with the addition of the 5D3. If you're a pro, I guess you have your own reasons for not getting the 5D3, if not I'd open the shades a bit. (Please accept this as intended, as a light ribbing and with best wishes for your success.)

@cale_kat wrote:

Where APS-C tops out is about where FF begins

Where exactly is that? I'm sorry but that's a bit over my headSmiley Frustrated

@cale_kat wrote:

@chrisschrimsher, I guess it comes down to priorities. I understand that you prefer natural light but it isn't as though child photography was invented with the addition of the 5D3. If you're a pro, I guess you have your own reasons for not getting the 5D3, if not I'd open the shades a bit. (Please accept this as intended, as a light ribbing and with best wishes for your success.)

No worries at all!  You hit the nail on the head - I'm not a pro, and therefore don't have a pro's budget or experience.  You're also right that photogs did children's photography with WAY less advanced gear than even the 6D or a 5D2, which I also looked at, so there's probably an aspect of trying to compensate for technique (or lack thereof) with gear if I'm being honest.  I guess I'd call my interest somewhere between a hobby and a secondary source of income right now.  My dad did photography on the side when I was a kid so I've always been interested, I just never had the patience for dealing with film.  I had a Digital Rebel for a long time, then upgraded my glass when my daughter was born, then upgraded to the 6D because I wanted to go full frame and start making at least a little money on the side.  Overall I'm still happy with the 6D, but I am slowly saving my "hobby" money and hope to pick up a good deal on a gently used 5D3 when the 5D4 comes out.  🙂

More than you asked for, but yes, I'm hearing you the right way.  And if you have any tips on how to perfect my focusing techniques on moving subjects, I'd welcome them also!

Thanks again,

Chris

15 REPLIES 15

@cale_kat wrote:

Where APS-C tops out is about where FF begins

Where exactly is that? I'm sorry but that's a bit over my headSmiley Frustrated

chrisschrimsher
Contributor
FWIW, I have the 6D and love it but the AF is my biggest complaint. I do children's' photography a lot, which some would argue isn't that different from wildlife 😉 and the AF is quite often a limiting factor.

@cale_kat wrote:

Mainly the 70-200mm F/2.8L USM IS II. Sometimes the 24-70mm F/2.8L USM II if working up close. I try not to go less than F/4 to get a workable DOF but sometimes have to go 2.8 since I do a lot with available light.  When I review the images, the focal point can be right on the eyes for successive images but one or more will be slightly out of focus. I've used LensAlign and the lenses seem to be accurately calibrated so I just wrote it off to the less sophisticated AF system not being 100% accurate in a "running and gunning" scenario.

@cale_kat wrote:

No worries at all!  You hit the nail on the head - I'm not a pro, and therefore don't have a pro's budget or experience.  You're also right that photogs did children's photography with WAY less advanced gear than even the 6D or a 5D2, which I also looked at, so there's probably an aspect of trying to compensate for technique (or lack thereof) with gear if I'm being honest.  I guess I'd call my interest somewhere between a hobby and a secondary source of income right now.  My dad did photography on the side when I was a kid so I've always been interested, I just never had the patience for dealing with film.  I had a Digital Rebel for a long time, then upgraded my glass when my daughter was born, then upgraded to the 6D because I wanted to go full frame and start making at least a little money on the side.  Overall I'm still happy with the 6D, but I am slowly saving my "hobby" money and hope to pick up a good deal on a gently used 5D3 when the 5D4 comes out.  🙂

More than you asked for, but yes, I'm hearing you the right way.  And if you have any tips on how to perfect my focusing techniques on moving subjects, I'd welcome them also!

Thanks again,

Chris

Announcements