Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

EOS 5D Mark II seems to have grainy images?

I bought this camera second hand from a friend who had barely used it. The images never seem to be in focus. When I crop them a little it seems to bring them into better focus... Is this normal? I have a 70D as well and it's images are so much sharper

Reputable Contributor

Re: EOS 5D Mark II seems to have grainy images?

Full size samples?

---------------------------------------------------------
My Swedish blog

M5, 7D, 6D, D30, 300D, 30D, 1000D IR, EOS DCS 3c, EOS D2000, 16-35/4L IS, 100/2,8 Macro, 70-200/2,8L IS II, 24-105/4L, 85/1,8, 50/1,4, 24/1,4L II, 300/2,8L IS, Helios 58/2

Darktable, RawTherapee, Photomatix, Luminance HDR, GIMP 2.10.6.
Esteemed Contributor

Did your friend fiddle with the AF micro-adjustment settings on the 5D II?  You may want to reset those.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
VIP

Grainy images?  Images that are grainy is usually a result of high ISO exposure settings.  Do you get grainy images when the camera is set to "A" or "P" mode, too?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

I upload them into the photo app on my computer - honestly don't know if they are full size upon upload, I will check

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

I don't know! That reset may be above my paygrade! I could take it int local camera shop

Thanks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

It's not the ISO - it just doesn't seem to focus as sharply as my 70D. I assumed because it was full frame, the images would be crisper...

Thanks all for your suggestions!

VIP

@Betsywtaylor wrote:

It's not the ISO - it just doesn't seem to focus as sharply as my 70D. I assumed because it was full frame, the images would be crisper...

Can you post a sample image with EXIF data?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

@Betsywtaylor wrote:

I think what's got us confused is that graniness and lack of focus aren't closely related. The former results from cranking the ISO number up beyond the camera's sensible limit (probably around 2500 for a 5D Mk II), the latter from failure to focus accurately. The two conditions may occur simultaneously or they may not. That's why it would be very helpful to see a sample picture.

If the problem is specifically lack of focus, does it happen in "live view" mode or just when you focus through the viewfinder?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Esteemed Contributor

@Betsywtaylor wrote:

I don't know! That reset may be above my paygrade! I could take it int local camera shop

Thanks

Not the right answer. You're now dealing with a fairly sophisticated camera. If you're going to use it successfully, you can't let yourself be stymied by a concept as simple as a reset. If you don't have a copy of the instruction manual, download it from Canon's Web site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA