cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark II Manual Mode Question

winni-laker
Apprentice

I've been using my 5D Mark II for several years in "Program", "AV", and "TV" modes, but just started trying out manual "M" mode and am confused.

With the camera in manual mode, I can adjust the shutter speed using the main dial (above the shutter button) with no problem, but when I turn the Quick Control Dial, which is supposed to adjust the aperture, nothing happens.

The Quick Control Dial works fine in all other modes, but in manual mode it doesn't change the aperture as I believe it should. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@winni-laker wrote:

The Quick Control Dial works fine in all other modes.

In all the other modes by default the quick control dial should adjust the Exposure Compensation, unless you've programmed it to do something else.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@winni-laker wrote:

I've been using my 5D Mark II for several years in "Program", "AV", and "TV" modes, but just started trying out manual "M" mode and am confused.

With the camera in manual mode, I can adjust the shutter speed using the main dial (above the shutter button) with no problem, but when I turn the Quick Control Dial, which is supposed to adjust the aperture, nothing happens.

The Quick Control Dial works fine in all other modes, but in manual mode it doesn't change the aperture as I believe it should. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Make sure your power swith is not just set to 'ON', but, turn it all the way toward the line pointing to the rear dial.

Yes, the power switch is in the "hockey stick" position.

@winni-laker wrote:

Yes, the power switch is in the "hockey stick" position.

Then the Quick control dial should work for setting aperture.  There is no other custom function that would have prevented it.  You might want to do a reset to factory settings just to make sure.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@winni-laker wrote:

In all the other modes by default the quick control dial should adjust the Exposure Compensation, unless you've programmed it to do something else.

@TTMartin wrote:

@winni-laker wrote:

Thanks, TTMartin, and the others for your suggestions.

The problem turned out to be the way I had the Quick Control Dial programmed. It was solely a case of operator error.

In Menu mode under "Custom Functions", C.Fn III (Autofocus/Drive), Item 3 (AF Point Selection Method), I had chosen selection #2 - Quick Control Dial Direct.  I just changed that setting to #0 - Normal and that solved the problem.  The Quick Select Dial now controls the aperture setting in Manual mode.

I suppose I never ran into a problem before because in both AV and TV mode I use the Main Dial to adjust either the aperture or shutter speed and the camera sets the other parameter.  However in Manual mode, I need to adjust both the aperture and the shutter speed so both the Main Dial and Quick Select Dial are used.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Whenever anything unexplained happens, reset the camera and clear all settings. Personal and custom, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements