cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 50D stops taking pictures

tdpilot
Contributor

My EOS 50D stops taking pictures after 4-5 shots.  It seems like the lens stops communicating with the camera.  I can remove the lens, reinstall it, and the same problem persists.  I have cleaned the contacts, no change.  I am using the Canon ES 5, 55-250 zoom.  

21 REPLIES 21

Hmmm.  Says it is a Keylucks brand, Canon EOS-50D   i am also now suspecting battery problems, with everyone's help, and am investigating all that.  Batteries are all suspect now, only one of the three is a Canon battery, and it doesn't accept a charge for now.  Will be replacing all batteries, and will report back.  I bought this setup a long time back, don't really remember exactly how or what I bought.  I would have thought it was all Canon, but checking now, It looks like I might have bought some stuff from Ebay, or elsewhere.  Getting smarter as I get older, or maybe, PROBABLY just more "experienced".  

And come to think of it, I have never used the camera without the huge grip.......

New batteries, no battery grip.   BTW, get Canon baeries. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Points well taken. I am doing just that right now. Will keep everyone informed where it goes. Right now I have three batteries, only one of which is a Canon, and NONE of them will take a charge. I am pretty sure you may have solved my problem. Looking forward to getting this magnificent machine back in service.

The reason I got the Canon was that I had an aerial shoot scheduled with two Chechoslovakian jets.  I was planning on using my Canon AE-1, and frantically loading rolls of film.  A new friend said, "Here, take my EOS 50D instead."  After 370 shots in the air during a thunderstorm day over the Mississippi River, I have about two dozen COVER SHOTS, and a magnificent shooting experience.  

I bought my 50D that week.    I am really looking forward to using it again, on my latest endeavor.  Building Hurricane Storm Surge Barriers for the mouths of our two bays, Bay St. Louis and Biloxi Bay here in Mississippi.  Then I will start in on getting Storm Surge Barriers built for the rest of the Gulf Of Mexico, and the Atlantic shoreline.  Easily, extremely strong, inexpensive,  environmentally beneficial and eye-pleasing.   Will take about junior college level engineering.  

Your help in getting my -50D back up and running will help emmensely.  Good pictures of all this is SO important.  

Lee 

As has been pointed out, third party battery grips can be problematic.  But since 1. you say you always used the grip without problem till now, and 2. batteries that won't take a  charge are most likely your issue.

If new batteries get the camera up and running then you might want to consider not giving up the advantages of the grip. Just keep in mind that if camera does start acting up again then decide if you want to get a Canon grip or do without. 

I realize not everyone might agree with that approach.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I do fully agree.  Aside from the comfort-of-use idea, I now see no real advantage to the grip.  And the additional complexity just means a quantum leap in problem potentials.  

@tdpilot wrote:

The reason I got the Canon was that I had an aerial shoot scheduled with two Chechoslovakian jets.  I was planning on using my Canon AE-1, and frantically loading rolls of film.  A new friend said, "Here, take my EOS 50D instead."  After 370 shots in the air during a thunderstorm day over the Mississippi River, I have about two dozen COVER SHOTS, and a magnificent shooting experience.  

I bought my 50D that week.    I am really looking forward to using it again, on my latest endeavor.  Building Hurricane Storm Surge Barriers for the mouths of our two bays, Bay St. Louis and Biloxi Bay here in Mississippi.  Then I will start in on getting Storm Surge Barriers built for the rest of the Gulf Of Mexico, and the Atlantic shoreline.  Easily, extremely strong, inexpensive,  environmentally beneficial and eye-pleasing.   Will take about junior college level engineering.  

Your help in getting my -50D back up and running will help emmensely.  Good pictures of all this is SO important.  

Lee 

Good luck to you! I grew up in Vicksburg and used to have a 50D. (Gave it to one of my granddaughters, IIRC.) So your post brought back memories.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, Bob.  I REALLY appreciate your help.  When I get things sorted out and can actually make a determination of what helped/.didn't, I will let you know.

Lee  

"Wouldn't have thought the grip was that much of a big deal,..."

The reason most 3rd party add-ons are a bad idea is Canon does not document how their cameras work.  So, all these 3rd party companies 'guess' how they work.  Some guess right others not so much.  That makes some of them bad for the camera. Some 3rf party batteries can do unrepairable damage to a camera.  Some grips can also. Some don't have all the operation buttons or few of them. Mostly they are not worth the chance just because they are cheaper which is the single reason people buy them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements