cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 50D continually fires without me touching the shutter.

EscO7
Contributor

camera fires without touching shutter release. Put battery in after charging, turned camera on and after a few seconds camera started shooting. I have to turn camera off for it to stop, turn camera on and it starts firing again. 

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Check if maybe something is jamming your shutter button down, like a piece of sand.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks I will try that. Is there a safe way to clean shutter button if something is jammed in there? Canned air or something? 

Use a corner of a business card or a piece of paper. Insert between button and camera housing and move around circumference of shutter button. 

Before you you do that just try depressing button a few times. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tried that, still the same. Button seems ok, feels normal. Would moisture cause something like this? 

It could. Did the camera get wet?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, I got caught in the rain, it got wet but not that much. I was fairly close to my car and it wasn't exposed but for a few minutes. 

That may be all it took. Remove battery, If you have a dehumidifier or air conditioner let the dried air blow on the camera; cover it with a cloth to shelter from dust, and hope it dries out. Wait a day or so and see what happens. Maybe you can recover it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks for you're help. I'll do that   I hope it works. Thanks again. 

Hope it works. Good luck. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements