cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 50D autofocus problem

afilleul
Apprentice

Hi,

I have an EOS 50D and the autofocus is flakey. If I am taking a photo it will only correctly autofocus if I zoom in on the object. If I don't zoom in, the focus is incorrect. It is not a lense problem as I have tried with several lenses with the same result. I really do like this camera body and am hoping someone has some helpfull  input.

Thanks!

Al

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Perhaps the item you are trying to focus on is too small. Try selecting a single focus point and place that point on the desired focus item and see if that helps.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the speedy response John! I've tried on multiple objects both large small from varying distances and receive the same results. I've tried Canon and Sigma lenses and also tried those same lenses on an in-store (Henrys) 50D and that 50D worked flawless. I've had this problem for a bit and it really never bothered me, as I just used manual focus (mostly photograph nature) until I photographed a wedding. It was a real pain manual focusing for that.

If it used to work and now it doesn't it sounds like something is malfunctioning. Canon Service or maybe a local independent shop should look at it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Before I brought it in for repair, thought I'd post on this forum. You are right, time to bite the bullet, open my wallet and shoo the moths away Smiley LOL - thanks again!

Announcements