cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 50D, Flash issues

IBaSchmuck
Contributor

I attempted taking a photo that required the use of a flash. The build-in flash 'should have' popped up, but it did not. I could not, electronicaly via the flash button, get it to come up. After going to the "Flash Control" settings, under "Built-in" I received the message "This menu cannot be displayed. External flash is attached." Under "External flash" I received "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." The latter message was displayed under both External flash settings and "Clear ext. flash..." I cleared all camera settings, removed/replaced the battery, changed the battery to a different one (both genuine) and nothing corrected the problem.
I tried lifting the flash with my fingers but I'm afraid I'll break something by doing that.
I rarely use the flash anyway, but the one time I wanted it........

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

Firmware: Ver. 1.0.9

This camera has never had an external flash attached, via hot shoe or PC terminal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If it reports that external flash is attached then what that means is that the sensor in the hot shoe is likely stuck.

The shot shoe has two "rails" that hold an external flash and each rail has a "leaf spring".  Use a toothpick (or something that wont scratch the camera) and *carefully* lift the springs.  On one of them you will see a tiny (probably black) button.  It's a "micro switch".   When you slide in a flash, that button is pressed down and that's how the camera knows you've attached an external flash (in which case it wont attempt to use the internal flash.)

These micro-switches can (and obviously do) become 'stuck' from time to time.  Wiggling the micro-switch with the toothpick and it probably just 'pop up' for you.  If you want, remove the camera battery then gather up a drop of denatured alcohol and drop it on the switch to help dissolve anything that might be making it stick.  Do not use any type of oil (oil will just help it collect more dust and gum it all up.)  Alcohol will evaporate so you wont have anything gummy left behind.  You probably wont need the drop of alcohol but if the switch doesn't pop up freely, then it would be one way.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If it reports that external flash is attached then what that means is that the sensor in the hot shoe is likely stuck.

The shot shoe has two "rails" that hold an external flash and each rail has a "leaf spring".  Use a toothpick (or something that wont scratch the camera) and *carefully* lift the springs.  On one of them you will see a tiny (probably black) button.  It's a "micro switch".   When you slide in a flash, that button is pressed down and that's how the camera knows you've attached an external flash (in which case it wont attempt to use the internal flash.)

These micro-switches can (and obviously do) become 'stuck' from time to time.  Wiggling the micro-switch with the toothpick and it probably just 'pop up' for you.  If you want, remove the camera battery then gather up a drop of denatured alcohol and drop it on the switch to help dissolve anything that might be making it stick.  Do not use any type of oil (oil will just help it collect more dust and gum it all up.)  Alcohol will evaporate so you wont have anything gummy left behind.  You probably wont need the drop of alcohol but if the switch doesn't pop up freely, then it would be one way.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim! I'm sure that's it, but that little bugger does NOT want to pop back up.
I checked my 60D and the switch is under the RH side (from viewfinder POV) spring rail, so I'm assuming it's the same on the 50D.

I'm not sure how it got depressed in the first place but, with all the dirt/dust/dead skin cells/etc, I can see how it could easily get stuck in that position.
I'll keep at it, but I'm going to ID this post as "solved". Thanks again!

I repaired the same problem on several old camera bodies XS and 40D for my friends.

Use a needle and alcohol and avoid pushing down the microswitch button. If you push it down too much, it will be stuck in there for ever. Apply some alcohol with a Q-tip and use the needle to loosen it a bit. It will work for sure.

Good luck.

Neither the toothpick nor toothpick/alcohol combo worked. What I ended up doing was removing the "spring plate", with some dental pics I have, and then the four Philips head screws retaining the "shoe plate". I attempted pulling the microswitch plunger up with several different pairs of needle nose pliers, all of which also failed. I had to use a pair of diagonal pliers to pull the plunger back out of the hole, turning the switch back to the "off" position. I put it all together and "works great last long time". Now, I just need to remember not to use the shoe for mounting anything. Smiley Happy
Thanks everybody for your help!

surgery done and successful. congrats. haha

Announcements